How to add an Asus RT-N66U router to get n series wireless?
JohnGalt48

I have the usual Verizon supplie Actiontec M1424WR FIOS modem/router.  It works fine, but I have a new laptop with n series wifi.  I use only one LAN output of the router itself to feed into a 1x8 network switch to feed all my wired network connected devices.

I'm considering buying an Asus RT-N66U n series router and trying to figure out the best and easiest way to connect it.  I'm not terribly computer networking savvy, but I do see a potential problem as the Asus router has the same IP address as the Actiontec, so I can foresee that being an initial problem.

Would I have to figure out how, if it's even possible, to change the IP address of one of these routers?  Somehow I thought it would be a simple matter of turning off the wireless function in the Actiontec, and connecting one of the LAN outputs of the Actiontec to the input of the Asus and all would be good.  But my initial research on the net indicates it's nowhere near that easy.

I also have FIOS landline and TV and the Actiontec modem is conveniently located where my new router and network switches are all located, so connecting all those together with cables is easy to do.

Has anyone done this and could give me a step by step procedure to get this combo working?  I haven't yet purchased the router, so I have a little time in advance to figure out if it can be done in such a way that I can actually do it myself.

thanks

JG

0 Likes
... add an Asus RT-N66U router ... Links and Recipes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

JohnGalt48 wrote:

... I'm considering buying an Asus RT-N66U n series router and trying to figure out the best and easiest way to connect it.  ... Has anyone done this and could give me a step by step procedure to get this combo working? ...

What you want to do is pretty standard.  I have set up an Asus RT-N16 as a second router on the network for wireless service and network storage, and it works well.  I also have maintained all FiOS services with my particular layout.   For details check out this post and the accompanying links:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-to-Get-the-Fastest-FiOS-Speed/m-p/514349#M33738
For additional details, look here:
http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Networking/Cmon-Show-Us-Your-Network/m-p/481733#M765
0 Likes