How to add second access point using coax
sabretd
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have FIOS with the coax line split out of the main fios box. One split goes to room A that has the Actiontec router and a STB.   The other line goes into room B where there is just a STB. I have poor wireless signal in room B and I would like to add a second access point.  I've read up on the devices that try to amplify your signal and see that they tend to reduce speeds, so this does not seem like a viable option. Because of my building arrangement, I can't do any sort of new wiring. 

I'd like to try to minimize how much configuration I have to do and even if it means paying a bit more to do so. From what I can tell, I could split the coax in Room B and plug in an ActionTEC ECB2200.  But, this would only give me a ethernet connection. If I plug in a second router via that ethernet connection, would that give me a second access point? Would I need to set up the second router in bridge mode? If this is the case, would it just make sense to plug the second router in without the ActionTEC ECB2200 in bridge mode from the coax input? 

Thanks in advance.

BT

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to add second access point using coax
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@sabretd wrote:

... would it just make sense to plug the second router in without the ActionTEC ECB2200 in bridge mode from the coax input? ...

This is your simplest and best choice.  Of course you will need a MoCA-capable Actiontec router to be able to take advantage of the MoCA capability (you didn't specify what you had in mind when you said "second router").  Older Actiontec routers are usually available on eBay at pretty good prices.

View solution in original post

armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@sabretd wrote:

... would it just make sense to plug the second router in without the ActionTEC ECB2200 in bridge mode from the coax input? ...

This is your simplest and best choice.  Of course you will need a MoCA-capable Actiontec router to be able to take advantage of the MoCA capability (you didn't specify what you had in mind when you said "second router").  Older Actiontec routers are usually available on eBay at pretty good prices.

sabretd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the answer (and hello from the Garden State as well - exit 14).  Do I have to use a MoCA capable router, or is this for some added benefit?  I will just be using the router for wireless devices. 

Also, if I were to buy a used router, it it any more difficult to configure it as a bridge in terms of needing passwords/logins/etc.? Is there any risk in buying used, or value to buying new?

0 Likes
Re: ... second access point using coax - Use Actiontec Router
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@sabretd wrote:

... Do I have to use a MoCA capable router, or is this for some added benefit?  I will just be using the router for wireless devices ... 

Yes, if you want to connect directly to coax without the adapter.  IOW, the adapter on a MoCA-capable router is essentially built-in.  Also, the only commercially available such devices are by Actiontec.

@sabretd wrote:

... if I were to buy a used router, it it any more difficult to configure it as a bridge in terms of needing passwords/logins/etc.? Is there any risk in buying used, or value to buying new? 

It's rather straightforward.  You will find everything you need to know somewhere in here:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%...

0 Likes
sabretd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I was trying to look for specific instructions to set up a second Actiontec as a wireless access point before buying a second MI424WR, but I can't seem to find them on the link you sent.  I then came across this:

Can I Bridge the Actiontec MI424WR router that Verizon provided, when I signed up for FiOS service?

The MI424WR does not have a bridging option, and neither Verizon nor Actiontec support attempting to bridge it.

The desire to bridge the MI424WR is based on a misunderstanding that it is a modem as well as a router. Actiontec does produce DSL Modems/Router that have a Transparent-Bridging option, which bypasses or disables the router function and allows the Modems/Router to act simply as a DSL modem, when it is enabled. Many consumers do not realize that with FiOS, the ONT (typically outside the home) is the device that handles changing the FiOS signal from Fiber to either Ethernet or Coax, and that the Router is just a Router, and if it was bridged or bypassed, it would be a device without a function. For most Verizon FiOS customers their service would completely stop if the MI424WR was bridged, because the Video on Demand service is dependent on it to work.

If your ONT is connected to the Actiontec MI424WR router via Coax, the MI424WR is required due to the Coax connection. But if the ONT is connected to the MI424WR via Ethernet, then in most cases some other router can be substituted for the MI424WR, and it can be removed.

Is this just trying to discourage people from setting their primary actiontec as bridge? Do you have any idea where I might find specific instructions for configuring a second one from coax as a WAP (i've tried searching a bit and can't find anything...sorry).

0 Likes
sabretd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Acutally I just came across this link, which I think explains what I need to do as item 2:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

My only question is, when starting the process and performing the following:

2.1) You will need to reconfigure the remote router, BEFORE you connect it to the coax.

• Perform a hard reset on the Actiontec to restore factory defaults.
  • Connect a PC to a LAN port of the Actiontec.
    By default, DHCP server should be enabled on the Actiontec, so no need to set a static IP address on the PC.
  • Login to the router at 192.168.1.1

How do I connect the pirmary and secondary actiontec? Do I disconnect the primary and plug the secondary into coax and do all this, and then when finished plug the primary back in? Or, do i Ieave the primary plugged in the whole time?

Thanks,

BT

0 Likes
Re: ... second access point using coax - Router Settings
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@sabretd wrote:

Actually I just came across this link, which I think explains what I need to do as item 2:

Yes, this is Section 3.2 in the link I provided earlier.

@sabretd wrote:

My only question is, when starting the process and performing the following:

2.1) You will need to reconfigure the remote router, BEFORE you connect it to the coax.

• Perform a hard reset on the Actiontec to restore factory defaults.
  • Connect a PC to a LAN port of the Actiontec.
    By default, DHCP server should be enabled on the Actiontec, so no need to set a static IP address on the PC.
  • Login to the router at 192.168.1.1 

How do I connect the primary and secondary actiontec? Do I disconnect the primary and plug the secondary into coax and do all this, and then when finished plug the primary back in? Or, do i Ieave the primary plugged in the whole time?

First you set up the secondary router by connecting it to any computer using an Ethernet cable.  Assuming you have reset the device, go to 192.168.1.1 and make the necessary changes in router number two.

Leave the primary router alone (unless you decide on a scheme with a fixed IP for the second router) and it will supply an IP to router two, which will serve as a simple wireless access point.  Detailed settings and a step-by-step cookbook procedure are provided in the references given above.  Good luck.

Re: ... second access point using coax - Router Settings
sabretd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks again for the help. After some tinkering I was able to get the second Actiontec up and running.  The comments in the instructions link were helpful. Also, when I went to set the two routers on different channels, it helped to know channels 1 6 and 11 were the best to use, and avoided an error message. 

0 Likes
LA_Kings_Fan
Enthusiast - Level 2

armond_in_nj you seem like the guy to ask Smiley Happy ...

I'm trying something similar as the OP, sabretd ...

Here's what I have going ....

FiOS triple play service (FiOS TV, FiOS Digital Phone, 50/25 Quantum FiOS Internet) in Los Angeles FiOS area.

Original old WESTELL A90-9100em rev. B wireless Router that Verizon provided 5 years ago when I started w/ FiOS.

A 2nd old WESTELL A90-9100em rev. A wireless Router that I got FREE off Ebay.

The NEWER Actiontec MI424WR rev. I Gig-E wireless-N Router that I got from the Verizon FiOS Accessories Store for $100.

I have 3 locations w/ TV's and FiOS Set Top Boxes, in a spread out Ranch style home, that is NOT wired with CAT5 ethernet just Coax Cable lines.

- BEDROOM #2 / OFFICE, (at far end by garage & ONT box) has Old CRT TV w/ StdDef QIP#2500 FiOS STB and the Actiontec MI424WR rev. I Gig-E wireless-N Router, conecting to my Main Desktop Computer and Printer via the Ethernet ports.

- BEDROOM #1, (at opposite end of house from Bedroom #2, about 150 feet) has Old CRT TV w/ StdDef QIP#2500 FiOS STB, this is My Bedroom and I like to use My Cell Phone and a tablet here, but I'm unhappy with the WiFi signal range, often just 1 bar and sometimes it drops off completely and I will lose connection all together. So I NEED some WAP (WiFi access point here ? but would also like the option of additional ethernet ports in the room to connect a Gaming console to the net, and a laptop and printer ?

- LIVINGROOM, (middle of home) has New 60" LED LCD Smart HDTV that needs internet connection (has built-in WiFi, but I'd prefer it hardwired) w/ FiOS QIP#7232-P2 HD DVR STB, and Smart HUB Blu-Ray player that needs ethernet connection.

IF in my research I've been reading and understanding things correctly, I SHOULD be able to take advantage of FiOS and MoCA to set up a simple Home Networking soultion with the 3 routers I already have, some coax splitters, and the pre-existing coaxial cable inside the walls, and NOT have to install new cat5 ethernet everywehere, and NOT lose the FiOS STB programing Guides and VOD functionality ... is that CORRECT ? The WESTELL A90-9100em's are MoCA capable routers as well aren't they ?

IF YES to ALL Above, then the next part is HOW to properly 'configure' the 3 routers to accomplish this ?

I assume the Actiontec MI424WR rev. I Gig-E wireless-N Router is the NEWEST and Most POWERFUL of the Routers I have, and thus should remain the MAIN or PRIMARY ROUTER in Beroom #2 / Office and connected to the computers and gaming and used as the FiOS communications bridge between the ONT and STB's/DVR ? and then use the 2 remaining WESTELL A90-9100em's as MoCA LAN Bridges and WAP's at the other 2 locations in the house, allowing me to A) hardwire connect all the devices into the ethernet ports, and have a Strong WiFi signal across the entire house ?

Issue I've bumped up against, in attempting to replicate most of what I've read on the DSL Reports forums and FiOS FAQ's is that I can't seem to get the router "configurations" set-up correctly or at all really as I always seem to get 'orange' NO INTERNET access on the secondary routers each time I've tried setting up things this way. Any advice on a Step-by-Step Youtube video or how-to ?

OR/ would I be better off not using the Westell's, and get something like the Actiontec #WCB3000NK01 Dual-Band Wireless MoCA Network Extender Kit instead ?

Thanks ! Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The Westells will work just fine as MOCA bridges.

Yes, leave the rev. I as your primary router.

"I always seem to get 'orange' NO INTERNET access on the secondary routers"

It's normal to get "no internet" on the secondary routers.  You're not using their WAN connectivity.  You are creating a LAN bridge to the primary router.

"I can't seem to get the router "configurations" set-up correctly"

Where are you having trouble?

"Any advice on a Step-by-Step Youtube video or how-to ?"

Follow part 2 of this FAQ:

Keep in mind the Westell routers are 802.11g only.  If 802.11n coverage is important in areas not reached by the rev. I, then the WCB3000NK01 may be a better solution for you.