How to best use my own router as primary?
soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey guys, I have had Verizon for the past 4-5 years so I have an older setup where my ONT comes into my house in my dining room and my Fios gateway router is connected via coax in my office on the second story.  This is where I have my PC connected via hardwire, I need a hardwired ethernet connection to my computer, then wifi goes thorughout the house.  I also have Fios cable and my set top box is connected via Coax in the living room.

So I want to switch to my own Google OnHub router.  I had it connected just via LAN to the Fios router but this was creating Double NAT and speed issues.  I don't have the ability to run ethernet from the dining room to my office to do the suggested switch from coax to ethernet on the ONT method to use my own router since I need a hardwired connection to my office computer.

I found a method online of doing this via setting the Fios gateway to Bridge mode and connecting my new router the way it is currently to LAN but that doesn't seem to work.  The post is a couple years old and I'm guessing things have changed.  If I follow those steps I never get internet through my setup, I'm guessing it might have something to do with my new router not receiving a public IP through DHCP through the bridged coax internet connection on my Fios gateway but that's just a guess.  I just know I didn't have internet and since I work from home I had to reset to factory default and give up for the time being so I could have a connection.

Any help with this would be appreciated.  I know it is somewhat a unique situation since I haven't seen any other similar posts online about using my own router that doesn't involve switching ONT to ethernet and connecting a router at that point.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to best use my own router as primary?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When switching FIOS router to bridge, you need to release WAN IP first or leave it disconnected for at least 2 hours for DHCP lease to release.

View solution in original post

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sure it wouldn't be this simple but would I be able to simply get a moca to ethernet adapter and use that from the cable connection in my office to my Google OnHub router?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

When switching FIOS router to bridge, you need to release WAN IP first or leave it disconnected for at least 2 hours for DHCP lease to release.

igetamped

Hoping this thread isn't too old and forgive me, but how do you release the WAN IP? TIA

(In the meantime, googling...)

Also, if more info needed, I'm switching the Verizon router to the OnHub TPLink router with a MOCA bridge

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Login to the router and go to My Network > Broadband Connections (Ethernet/Coax) > Settings. The Release command will be in there. Once you click it immediately take ethernet out then setup your router. 

0 Likes