How to build a local web server?
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to build a local web server for family genealogy using my own domain name. I can find no information from Verizon on how to accomplish this. I have searched for hours and the chat guy was totally unhelpful but very polite. Can someone point me to an applicable tutorial or other link that may be helpful. TIA

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to build a local web server?
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My thanks to all for the words of wisdom. I've had a server running on my local net but it is not publically available. After talking to Verizon tech it seems the only legal way is to open a business account. So goDaddy it is. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not surprised you got nowhere with Verizon.  They don't sell or service web hosting (I'm ignoring the soon to be de-commissioned personal web pages).

I don't know of any handy tutorials; but I suspect there are plenty out there.  I'd look for "web hosting" to start.  If you're convinced you want to host the server on your own computer, look up DDNS; you'll need it.

You'll probably be better off purchasing web hosting services from any of a number of good companies.  That way you don't have to worry about maintaining your own server or running afoul of Verizon's TOS (they *do* prohibit servers).

Note that domain registration and web hosting are two different things.  While most companies (such as GoDaddy) try to sell you both as a bundle, you don't have to do that.  For example, I have a domain name registered through GoDaddy with web hosting at TotalChoiceHosting.  Do some shopping and find companies that fit your needs.

Good Luck.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

On what platfom?  Linux?  Windows?  Mac?

On Linux, there is Apache and many others. On Windows, there is IIS or Windows Home Server.

As gs0b said, running a server on a residential FIOS account is technically a violation of VZ's Terms Of Service (TOS).

I also agree with him that you're better off with a hosting company that will install and support the server for you.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Apache is available on almost all platforms, including windows.  Its is open source (free) as long as you obey the licensiing rules.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

IIS is available on Windows - you need to turn it on under programs and features.

I wonder if a web server being accessed via family members only would violate the FIOS TOS which is really aimed a high bandwidth usage.

To do what you want to do you need to purchase your domain name from some provider, netsol, godaddy register etc.

They'll publish the domain to dns for you.  They'll also typically provide you for free with your domain name a one page web site or forwarding for you domain name to the address and port of your choice..  To accomplish that on a fios dhcp assigned router wan address you will need an account with somebody like DynDns which will track your current ip address to the account.

So basically that means you would buy your domain name e.g www.myhome.com

get a dyndns account e.g myhome.homedns.org

build your web pages using a tool of your choice and publish them via the web server on a machine with a static ip address on your home network, also configure the web service listening port/s

configure the router to update your dyndns account 

configure your router to port forward all traffic for the listening port on your web server to the static ip address you defined for the web server machine

configure the isp account to forward all traffic for www.myhome.com to myhome.homedns.org:xxxx where xxxx is the listening port on the web server.

0 Likes
sturdy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

My thanks to all for the words of wisdom. I've had a server running on my local net but it is not publically available. After talking to Verizon tech it seems the only legal way is to open a business account. So goDaddy it is. Thanks again.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sturdy2 wrote:

My thanks to all for the words of wisdom. I've had a server running on my local net but it is not publicly available. After talking to Verizon tech it seems the only legal way is to open a business account. So goDaddy it is. Thanks again.

There are no technical barriers to running a server from a home account; just legal.  I've heard it said that Verizon doesn't go after small scale servers.  If you don't expect to generate a lot of network traffic and aren't reselling services, you probably can get away with it.

If you do decide to run a server and want a domain name associated with it, you'll need a DDNS service to keep up with any potential IP address changes.

Have Fun.

0 Likes