How to change SSID from 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz on Verizon router Verizon MI424WR
cstownsend1987

I just purchased a new wireless soundbar that has wifi capabilities but they said I need to change my SSID on my verizon router from 2.4ghz to 5 ghz. How do I do this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to change SSID from 2.4 ghz to 5 ghz on Verizon router Verizon MI424WR
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TJWarren wrote:

To change the settings from 5 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz or vice versa 

1. Need to know the "Description" of your router
  2. Click on the Wifi symbol on the bottom right of your computer screen next to the volume and date/time icon
  3. Click Properties under you Router Name
  4. Scroll down to the list of properties and find the Description next to....Description. Write this down
  5. Go to Device Manager. You can do this by typing "Device Manager"  in the box on the bottom left next to the window icon. "Type here to search"
  6. Click "Network adaptor"
  7. On the drop-down menu find the name of your "description" from the above and Double Click on it
  8. Click on advanced
  9. Under properties click Preferred Band
  10. On the left click on the down arrow under "Value"
  11. Select your preferred band 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz

The Actiontec MI424WR is not a dual band router. It only uses the 2.4GHz band. No matter what you do on your computer there is no way to connect to the Actiontec via 5GHz

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@cstownsend1987 wrote:

I just purchased a new wireless soundbar that has wifi capabilities but they said I need to change my SSID on my verizon router from 2.4ghz to 5 ghz. How do I do this?

There is no such thing.

you can use 2.4 Ghz or the 5 Ghz band depending on what the device is capable of using. In your soundbar you select either band. Normally a device has to be paired with the Bluetooth of the soundbar. 

My tablets are paired with a Bose Soundbar as is my TV and my iPhone’s they are found via turning blue tooth on to discovery mode.

this does not need to be any changes to the SSID of your network. The network that is available will show up. Either band or both.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why does it have to connect to wifi at all. The MI424WR doesn't have a 5 ghz radio. Sounds like you got a clueless tech support person. I'm sure the soundbar can connect to 2.4 ghz. And if it doesn't you might have to update router. 

Just like pervious poster said they also do bluetooth. Or it most likely has an optical SPDIF you can connect as well. 

0 Likes
TJWarren1

2. Click on the Wifi symbol on the bottom right of your computer screen next to the volume and date/time icon
  4. Scroll down to the list of properties and find the Description next to....Description. Write this down
  5. Go to Device Manager. You can do this by typing "Device Manager"  in the box on the bottom left next to the window icon. "Type here to search"
  7. On the drop-down menu find the name of your "description" from the above and Double Click on it
  8. Click on advanced
0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TJWarren wrote:

8. Click on advanced

The Actiontec MI424WR is not a dual band router. It only uses the 2.4GHz band. No matter what you do on your computer there is no way to connect to the Actiontec via 5GHz