How to connect Netgear router wirelessly (NOT WIRED) to existing Verizon router?
nyguy4u

Hello all,

So here is my question. I have a Verizon Quantum Router upstairs. I want to connect my Netgear WNDR4500 router downstairs to help with coverage. I searched and searched this forum, and I am seeing people saying to connect the Netgear to the Verizon router with a cat5 cable, but I want it connected wirelessly, not wired - so that doesn't solve my issue. I read somewhere to simply assign the Netgear the same SSID and WEP, but that didn't work either. I even set the Netgear in AP mode, and that didn't work.

Seems like such an easy thing to do, but for some reason I can't figure it out. Can anyone please tell me how to accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to connect Netgear router wirelessly (NOT WIRED) to existing Verizon router?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the Netgear to be able to do this your FiOS router would need to support WDS which it does not. Alternatively the Netgear could do this using custom firmware that supports Client Bridged mode. You would have to install the custom firmware, which can be risky since you're replacing the factory software which voids the warranty.

Your best bet is to use MoCa or a FiOS range extender as suggested above that can utilize Coaxial to give the Netgear a wired connection. From there you can configure the Netgear into a Switch + AP by disabling all of the router functions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How to connect Netgear router wirelessly (NOT WIRED) to existing Verizon router?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Best I can tell from looking at the WNDR 4500 specs is you can't do what you want to do.   What you'd need is a wifi range extender, or booster, or repeater, and the WNDR 4500 is neither.

You can do a search for wifi booster or wifi extender to find a device that might work for you but my personal experience is that wifi boosters/extenders/repeaters don't work very well.

Might you already have coax cable running to a TV downstairs?  If so, it would be a fairly easy matter to add a coax-to-ethernet adapter downstairs and feed your NDR 4500 from it.

0 Likes
shishirpatil

I'm trying to do the same thing: Connect the Quantum Router to Netgear WNDR4300 Router and it is not working wirelessly. Any help?

0 Likes
nyguy4u

Thanks for reply, I appreciate it. I am a bit surprised this router can't handle it. I thought most of the newer routers could, especially the 4500.

With that said, I know a good coax to ethernet adapter is around $100 - would it make sense just to purchase a router that COULD handle this instead of an adapter? If so, anything I should look for in particular? Any particular models? I do have one coax in my living room, but it's currently going straight to my FiOS DVR, and I already have splitters throughout the house, so I just want to know my options before purchasing an adapter, because I really don't want to add another coax splitter if I don't need to, I'd much prefer to connect a router wirelessly to my upstairs Verizon Quantum router if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

My experience with wifi repeater/exenteders has not been good so I'm not going to try to recommend a device that will do what you are looking to do.  Maybe another user here will come along with a suggestion or two.

In the mean time, since you do have a coax feed available, you might consider an Actiontec ECB2500C adapter.  It's plug and play, doesn't require another splitter, and will give you an Ethernet output for your 4500.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500C/dp/B008C1JC4O

Or there's the Actiontec 3000N "Extender."  It does require an additional spliter but is easy to setup and I've had pretty good results with its wifi output.   You can see detail with the third link from the top on this page:

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

Whichever way to choose....good luck. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the Netgear to be able to do this your FiOS router would need to support WDS which it does not. Alternatively the Netgear could do this using custom firmware that supports Client Bridged mode. You would have to install the custom firmware, which can be risky since you're replacing the factory software which voids the warranty.

Your best bet is to use MoCa or a FiOS range extender as suggested above that can utilize Coaxial to give the Netgear a wired connection. From there you can configure the Netgear into a Switch + AP by disabling all of the router functions.

0 Likes