How to create Windows 7 Homegroup with Verizon Router
helpmerab
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 7 (the desktop is running Windows 7 Home Premium, the laptop  is running Windows Ultimate).  With XP I had a nice network and could share printerhs, files, etc .

After I upgraded both machines from XP to windows 7 I cannot get the homegroup to create AND share.  I can create a homegroup on either machine, but in either case the other machine cannot see the home network.

Windows 7 says that Homegroup requires IPv6, but Verizon Routers don't support this protocol.  I have attempted, as noted on the internet, to disable IPv6 on both computers,  but this didn't seem to solve the problem.  I chatted with an Verizon tech support person who told me no IPv6 routers.  

I am looking for suggestions on how to successfully network my computers with Windows 7 and my Verizon router.  (Actiontec M1424-WR).  We previously tried to put another router in the interface to do wireless and that didn't work.  

Thank you.

Re: How to create Windows 7 Homegroup with Verizon Router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
IPv6 connectivity needs to be enabled on the Windows 7 machines to support HomeGroup networking. Make sure you re-enable those. Once IPv6 is re-enabled, verify that the PCs are at least holding a Link-Local IPv6 address. Open up command prompt and type in "ipconfig" to verify it is holding something, first of all. It's also a good idea to make sure Teredo is in working order as well, as it's considered to be needed in order to use IPv6 on an IPv4 router.