Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

How to create Windows 7 Homegroup with Verizon Router

helpmerab
Contributor
Contributor

How to create Windows 7 Homegroup with Verizon Router

Message 1 of 2
(2,611 Views)

I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 7 (the desktop is running Windows 7 Home Premium, the laptop  is running Windows Ultimate).  With XP I had a nice network and could share printerhs, files, etc .

After I upgraded both machines from XP to windows 7 I cannot get the homegroup to create AND share.  I can create a homegroup on either machine, but in either case the other machine cannot see the home network.

Windows 7 says that Homegroup requires IPv6, but Verizon Routers don't support this protocol.  I have attempted, as noted on the internet, to disable IPv6 on both computers,  but this didn't seem to solve the problem.  I chatted with an Verizon tech support person who told me no IPv6 routers.  

I am looking for suggestions on how to successfully network my computers with Windows 7 and my Verizon router.  (Actiontec M1424-WR).  We previously tried to put another router in the interface to do wireless and that didn't work.  

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: How to create Windows 7 Homegroup with Verizon Router

Message 2 of 2
(2,595 Views)
IPv6 connectivity needs to be enabled on the Windows 7 machines to support HomeGroup networking. Make sure you re-enable those. Once IPv6 is re-enabled, verify that the PCs are at least holding a Link-Local IPv6 address. Open up command prompt and type in "ipconfig" to verify it is holding something, first of all. It's also a good idea to make sure Teredo is in working order as well, as it's considered to be needed in order to use IPv6 on an IPv4 router.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title