How to disconnect obsolete BBU without cutting power to ONT?
Linden3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our BBU is intermittently beeping to indicate an aging/low battery, but we no longer have voice service as part of our FIOS package, and therefore the BBU serves no purpose. Therefore, we tried to disconnect it via the online instructions. However, when we do that, our internet no longer works. How can we stop the beeping and keep our FIOS internet functioning without paying $40 for an unnecessary battery?

Some background:

We initally had FIOS installed in 2010, with voice and internet services. The ONT was installed on the outside of our house, with the BBU in our basement, plugged into a nearby outlet. After a few years, we switched to a different internet provider but this hardware stayed in place.

We eventually switched back to Verizon FIOS for internet only (no voice). Verizon sent us a new router, we hooked it up, and bingo, our FIOS internet was up and running again, simple as that.

Last week, our seven-year-old BBU in the basement began to beep intermittently (every 10 minutes maybe) and display the "Replace Battery" light. Since we don't have voice service, and the BBU is only there to provide power for voice calls during power outages, we consulted the Verizon website about how to eliminate the BBU from our setup.

According to Verizon, "If you do not have landline voice service through Verizon, or if you do not need your fiber voice service during a power outage, you can safely and easily disconnect the backup battery from your Fios ONT to ensure the battery alarm will remain silent." [https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/beeping]

This sounded great, so we unplugged the BBU and took the battery out, according to the instructions. [https://www.verizon.com/support/consumer/battery-backup/backup-unit#disconnect] However, our internet service no longer worked. We plugged it back in and the internet came back, but so did the beeping, whether or not the batter was actually installed in the unit.

We have gathered from this experience that power to the ONT is supplied through the BBU at all times, and also that the BBU will beep unhappily whether the battery needs to be replaced or is not there at all. Since we can't disconect the unit as stated on the website, how do we silence it permanently?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to disconnect obsolete BBU without cutting power to ONT?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't remove the BBU without some other means to supply power.  That Verizon info said "you can safely and easily disconnect the backup battery" not Remove Battery Backup Unit.

Most of the BBU you just remove the battery.  Hold the reset alarm button for 10 seconds and your done. 

Some very old BBU need to be replaced either with a BBU where you can reset the alarm. or a simpler power supply.  In that case you will have to have Verizon come and do it.  Some combos of equipment don't mix, in which case they may have to replace the ONT.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Wow I guess in this instance I would either 

1- Buy a new battery (foolish I know)

2- Call 1-800-VERIZON and have a tech/installer come out and remove it and make sure your internet is fully operational.

I know buying a battery costs money (they are cheaper from Best Buy, Walmart’s, Lowe’s or Home Depot ) and that should fix it for now.

now if the tech charges a premise visit could be $40-$100 or may be zero and then you will be good to go.

I see the instructions make it very simple. It is one of the links I send to people myself.

Hope it all works out.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't remove the BBU without some other means to supply power.  That Verizon info said "you can safely and easily disconnect the backup battery" not Remove Battery Backup Unit.

Most of the BBU you just remove the battery.  Hold the reset alarm button for 10 seconds and your done. 

Some very old BBU need to be replaced either with a BBU where you can reset the alarm. or a simpler power supply.  In that case you will have to have Verizon come and do it.  Some combos of equipment don't mix, in which case they may have to replace the ONT.

Linden3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you, tns2! You were right, all I had to do was press the Silence Alarm button for 10 seconds and the Status light turned off. More important, the intermittent beeping has stopped. The system seems happy again.

BluehatHorses
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Fios BBU is just that, a backup battery. It powers the ONT in case of a power outage, but isn't the main source of power. You can remove the battery and the ONT will still work, you just won't have phone service if the power goes down.

If the fios battery is beeping (the one in the ONT box that is) then it needs to be replaced. You can silence it by holding the button, but that'll only buy you about 24 hours before the beeping starts again. The fix is to buy a new battery.

0 Likes
Tenk

A couple years ago, I religously pressed the silence button every 24 hours for weeks.  Eventually the beeping just stopped, even though there is still a red light indicating that I need a new battery.  I still get e-mails from Verizon saying their records indicate that I need a new battery as well.

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes