How to expand system in the House
rhc86

My computer technical knowledge is average.

I have Verizon FIOS in my office with a Actiontec MI424WR router with an Ethernet cable going to my computer (XP).

Verizon ran a line to the kids TV room, with a coax line from my router to a Motorola NIM-100 which then has an Ethernet cable running to the computer (Vista).

I want to hook up additional components (printer, Wii) in the room with an Ethernet line. The Wi-Fi from the router in my office doesn’t push a strong enough signal to the kids TV room to connect.

Can I replace the Motorola NIM-100 with another router (or whatever) to be able to have coax coming into the room and the ability to hook more devices up with Ethernet cables rather than the one out ethernet line?

Appreciate any help I can get.

0 Likes
Re: How to expand system in the House
Justin46
Legend

Keep the NIM!

Just go out and buy an ethernet switch. You can probably find a 5-port or so 10/100 switch for $15-20. Then disconnect the ethernet cable to your PC from the NIM-100, connect the switch to the NIM (need to get another ethernet cable), and plug your PC and other devices into the other ports on the switch. You can find these switches at most electronic retailers (Office Deport, Office Max, Best Buy, Frys, etc) or at web retailers like NewEgg.

Should work just fine.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes