How to expose my home network to the internet?
WLV

Hello. Verizon provided me with some kind of router that runs a DHCP server and allows my PCs and laptops to connect thought the ethernet ports. However, I have my own router that can do NAT, DHCP, port forwarding, and WIFI for my home network.  How can I make it so that my personal router is assigned a public IP address? Actually to make things simple, forget the presence of this router and assume that I have only one PC at home. How can it obtain a full fledge public IP address (I don't care if it's dynamic or not)

0 Likes
Re: How to expose my home network to the internet?
astro_guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Assuming for a moment that you just want to leave your exiting home network intact, and that your existing router has the default IP address of 192.168.001.001, you could do the following:

1. Change the IP address of the Verizon router to 192.168.002.001 (note the difference in the third group) - this could have implications to your set top boxes if you have FiOS TV and it will no longer be considered a Verizon supported setup.
  2. Connect the WAN port of your existing router to one of the LAN ports on the FiOS router.

I ran this setup myself for a few weeks while slowly migrating everything over to the FiOS router.

0 Likes
Re: How to expose my home network to the internet?
rustyrat

I just had the FIOS installed yesterday with a Westell 9100. It does all the NAT DHCP and WiFi. I've got 3 printers wired using static IP and 2 PC's getting IP via DHCP also my Laptop gets a wireless DHCP IP address. Everything works fine. I would like to have my static IP devices addresses taken out of the DHCP server and don't have that figured out yet. Plus I'd like to know how the Westell box gets it's IP address. How does my TV STB get an IP address from the local network DHCP server? Got to be more in the protocol standards that I need to reed up on.

0 Likes