How to get Fios in my area
laksh

My community is recently developed and already has fiber optics lines installed to all the houses.  The only service we get is by AT&T uVerse. So I’m assuming the lines are installed by AT&T

since fiber optics lines are already installed, Is there any way to get FIOS in our community? Whom do we contact?

The community is in Frisco,TX 75034

0 Likes
Re: How to get Fios in my area
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@laksh wrote:

My community is recently developed and already has fiber optics lines installed to all the houses.  The only service we get is by AT&T uVerse. So I’m assuming the lines are installed by AT&T

since fiber optics lines are already installed, Is there any way to get FIOS in our community?

I am not sure, but since the lines are installed by AT&T and you have AT&T uVerse: I beleive the correct and only answer is no. Verizon can not use their Fiber.

0 Likes
laksh

i thought cable companies shared the cable lines, otherwise each company has to install their own line. Imagine every company digging roadside to have their own lines. ( i may be wrong here though)

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@laksh wrote:

i thought cable companies shared the cable lines, otherwise each company has to install their own line. Imagine every company digging roadside to have their own lines. ( i may be wrong here though)

Yup, you're wrong.  Cable lines and fiber lines are not shared.

Old fashioned copper is shared as most of it was installed when Ma Bell was a monopoly.  You can often get DSL and phone service over copper from providers other than Verizon or your local telco.  Verizon doesn't like this, as they don't make as much money.  That's one of the reasons they successfully lobbied our government to have FiOS *not* be shared.  Cable companies are no different.

Bottom line, you're not getting FiOS unless you become a large enough Verizon shareholder that you can direct their investments.

Have Fun!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@laksh wrote:

It could be possible you're thinking of a reseller program. In very rare cases do cable companies overbuild, and the same goes for Telephone companies. But otherwise, all of the lines of a particular type are owned by some company, or by an incumbant.

0 Likes