How to get internet from my Coax cable
runnerbean

Hi, 

I have a Fios action tec  router. 

I am getting a new TV that will have a Verizon box but I also want to be able to connect the TV to the internet.  The room has a coax cable that was installed during construction.  I cannot get a cat 5 cable from the action tec router to this room.  A wireless card will not work because it is not fast enough  to handle online gaming.  Is there a way to "split " the coax cable so that it will provide TV and internet?

I think I need a device like

Hi, 

I have a Fios action tec  router. 

I am getting a new TV that will have a version box but I also want to be able to connect the TV to the internet.  The room has a coax cable that was installed during construction.  I cannot get a cat 5 cable from the action tec router to this room.  A wireless card will not work because it is not fast enough  to handle online gaming.

I think I need a device like the Actiontec Ethernet over Coax MoCA Adapter - Single  to split the cable.

Will this work and is this the best way to solve this problem?  Is there anything else to consider?

Thank you

0 Likes
Re: How to get internet from my Coax cable
aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

You  could buy that and it will solve your problem.  Ypu are better off buying a Verizon Actiontec Router on Ebay and using it as a wireless bridge.  That is what I did in my home and it works great!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@aadam101 wrote:

You  could buy that and it will solve your problem.  Ypu are better off buying a Verizon Actiontec Router on Ebay and using it as a wireless bridge.  That is what I did in my home and it works great!

And I use an old Motorola NIM-100 that I had left over from my very eary install of FiOS internet. They used to be available on eBay, haven't looked lately, but mine works very well, no configuration needed, just connect and use. Only other thing needed is a splitter if a TV is also going to be connected to that coax leg.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ActionTEC MoCA bridge is exactly what you need.   This is what I have used in my home installation for two years now with zero issues.   While you can buy a used router and make it work (perhaps even for less money), you will need to configure the router properly in order for it to work.  Nothing wrong with that if you're technically up to the task and understand what the instructions are telling you to do.  However, for many folks I recommend the MoCA bridge instead because it is literally plug and play with not configuration required. It will just work.

The NIM100 is basically the same thing as the MoCA bridge, it's just an older generation of device and no longer manufactured.

mrballcb
Enthusiast - Level 3

The NIM-100 works great.  I moved from one house with FIOS to another house with FIOS.  The old house was wired throughout with CAT5, so networking was no problem.  However, this new one is not.  The FIOS installer used a NIM-100 to connect my TIVO.  It worked immediatel (it's a bridge, it gets its own IP in the MoCA block and then bridges the ethernet port) and said I needed to only call tech support to get another one.  He said that they don't really have a way to bill for them because they're not in the billing system any more.

The place I am putting my computer doesn't have networking, but I planned to run some coax cable to it and stick another NIM-100 on it to provide the bridge I need.  I called Verizon today to get one, but got bounced between tech support and customer service, two times each, before someone finally said I had to go find and buy one because they couldn't/wouldn't send one to me.  (I should have asked for that second NIM-100 when the installer was here.)  Who do I need to call and what do I need to ask for in order to get a NIM-100 sent to me?  The installers carry them in their trucks.  Heck, I would take a used one, that doesn't bother me at all.  I don't need any assistance with configuration or installation, I just need one of the units.