How to get rid of garbage port forwarding rules for STBs
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

On my Westell router I have dozens of port forwarding rules, many of which are exactly the same, that appear to be being added by Verizon apparently something to do with the STBs.

Is there some way, other than a router reset which I've done a couple of times, to get rid of these or at least prevent them proliferating?

0 Likes
Re: How to get rid of garbage port forwarding rules for STBs
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I noticed the same thing on my Actiontec Rev E.  About half of the rules seem to apply to online gaming which is and never will be any use to me.

I manually deleted all of those gaming port forwards.  I'll be curious to see if they reappear.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try turning UPnP off in the advanced section if you're not using gaming systems. 

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I've done that too.  That didn't seem to clean up the dozens of rules that were already in place.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

That was more meant for keeping new ones from showing up.   There is a setting in the UPnP menu for deleting stale rules ... is that enabled?   I know I see these show up too, but have given up trying to keep killing them off.

Also, try my suggestion from another thread of making the DHCP lease permanent once the boxes get their initial address -- this should at least limit the "hopping around" of those rules.

0 Likes