Re: How to maintain a static connection?
jnmarshall
Enthusiast - Level 3

Final solution:

"Disable" DHCP on the Westell. I have configured an AEX as the DHCP server with static reservations as needed. Two thing to note

1) You MUST "Disable" the DHCP on the Westell. If you do not then devices assigned by the other DHCP appear as "Static" and clutter the Westell as mentioned in my original post. According to past support calls to Verizon on this issue they claim it will impact performance. It seems by completely disabling DHCP the Westell can properly identfiy DHCP and Static clients correctly and is not cluttering the Westelll.

2) You MUST NOT include the IP range of 192.168.1.100-150 on your external DHCP server. The Verizon STBs are still assigned IP's in the range of 192.168.1.100+, I am guessing by the Vendor ID and QoS settings hardcoded into the Westell. It seems they still get their information from the Westell even with DHCP disabled.

It appears the only good thing the Westell is good for is to use as a Bridge (fios modem) and to manage their STBs. I certainly can't recommend their wireless functions as performance suffers and many compatibility issues exist. And as a DHCP server if you have a large network > 10 devices requireing special needs it is unable to handle it.

Re: How to maintain a static connection?
wsmknicks
Enthusiast - Level 1

So you ARE able to maintain the 9100VM solely as a bridge? 

* Turned off DHCP on the Westell

* Connected your AEx to the ...LAN port? or WAN port?  of Westell?

* Set the AEx to the...say...10.1.1.x subnet? And have it assign DHCP?

Did you make any other changes to the Westell?

I've been pulling my hair out trying to use the 9100VM as a bridge.