How to make reverse DNS point to my own domain?
daigo

I set up my domain pointers to my IP, and also set my computer's hostname to my domain name. But my IP still resolves to the default verizon.net hostname. Do I have to change some settings in the FiOS router in order for the reverse DNS lookup to be my domain name instead of the regular Verizon hostname?

0 Likes
Re: How to make reverse DNS point to my own domain?
prisaz
Legend

@daigo wrote:

I set up my domain pointers to my IP, and also set my computer's hostname to my domain name. But my IP still resolves to the default verizon.net hostname. Do I have to change some settings in the FiOS router in order for the reverse DNS lookup to be my domain name instead of the regular Verizon hostname?

If you have a business account and static IP, I would sugest that you contact Verizon, as they would need to adjust their reverse lookup table. They have control of the address segment and they would need to do this.

If you do not have a business account and you are running a server with a dynamic IP, I would say good luck. There is no way to do this on a dynamic IP.

0 Likes
Re: How to make reverse DNS point to my own domain?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

prisaz is correct ... for residential customers and anyone on dynamic IP business, there is no way to do this.   If you are static IP business customer, then you would need to work with your Verizon small business account representative to see if this is a service they are willing to offer.   Reverse DNS is delegated to the owner of the address space -- in this case Verizon -- and is not under the control of individuals.

If you are a residential customer, I would refer you to the Terms of Service (you can find them under Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this page).  If you are using a dynamic DNS entry to point to your hostname to your currently assigned address, you should read carefully the section with regards to running a "server" on your connection and make sure you are not in violation of that agreement for anything you are planning to do.