How to open a port on the router to stream video for a nanny cam
mgdweb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello.  I am purchasing a nanny cam and would like to be able to access the video stream remotely from the web while traveling.  I was told this requires that a port be open on my Verizon Fios router.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to open a port on the router to stream video for a nanny cam
Hubrisnxs
Legend

yes, there are a lot of different ports that are possible to use, so you have to find out what the specific port is that this cam wants open.   and then once you have that you get to log into the router.

so open a web browser and connect to http://192.168.1.1

click on firewall settings along the top

then click on port forward on the left hand side

it will give you a general warning.  simply accept the warning by hitting yes.

and then you will see, in red, the word ADD

when you click add, this is where you define the settings.   your nanny cam people or manual will have these settings and numbers for you to put in. 

the settings that will display are as follows

Networked Computer / Device:   (you can either define by ip or it will show you a list of names)

Protocol   (you specify - may have to check with your nanny cam people)

WAN Connection Type:   (will either be broadband connection coax or ethernet, likely coax - check the lights on your router, and see which is lit up - again most likely will say wan coax.)

Forward to Port:  (you specify - may have to check with your nanny cam people)

When should this rule occur?  

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

yes, there are a lot of different ports that are possible to use, so you have to find out what the specific port is that this cam wants open.   and then once you have that you get to log into the router.

so open a web browser and connect to http://192.168.1.1

click on firewall settings along the top

then click on port forward on the left hand side

it will give you a general warning.  simply accept the warning by hitting yes.

and then you will see, in red, the word ADD

when you click add, this is where you define the settings.   your nanny cam people or manual will have these settings and numbers for you to put in. 

the settings that will display are as follows

Networked Computer / Device:   (you can either define by ip or it will show you a list of names)

Protocol   (you specify - may have to check with your nanny cam people)

WAN Connection Type:   (will either be broadband connection coax or ethernet, likely coax - check the lights on your router, and see which is lit up - again most likely will say wan coax.)

Forward to Port:  (you specify - may have to check with your nanny cam people)

When should this rule occur?  

mgdweb
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much for the help!!!!!

0 Likes
TunellRealty
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same request, and have tried the steps written in the post online, but the screen options are not what was explained.

Per the instructions with my IP Camera support, here's what I need to do:

======

First thing you will need to do is make sure that in the network settings of your camera that you have entered the correct gateway and DNS information. The default gateway address is going to be the LAN IP address of your router. The primary DNS address is also going to be the LAN ip address of your router. For the secondary DNS address enter the address 4.2.2.2, save these settings in your camera.
The second thing you will need to do is, you will need to log into your router and forward the port your camera is using (the default port is port 80) to the LAN IP address of your camera. This will be done in the port forwarding section of your router. You may need to contact the manufacturer of your router to have them walk you through these steps.

In order to access your camera, you will need to use the WAN (public) IP address that was provided to you by your ISP. As an example, the URL will look like this, HTTP://65.44.139.2 or if you are using a different port number other than 80, you will have to use the URL with the port number. That URL would look exactly like this, HTTP://65.44.139.2:81

======

I've changed the secondary DNS to 4.2.2.2, but I cannot find how to forward the camers's port to the IP address of the camera....I've set 198.268.1.240 as the camera address.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Kent Tunell

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1
  • Click on the firewall settings icon at the top
  • Select port forwarding from the left menu.
  • In the first pulldown, ether select the device by name (if it has one), or select Specify IP.  If you select Specify IP, an entry field will appear where you enter the IP address of your camera.
  • If you want your camera to be on outside port 80, then select HTTP from the list of protocols in the second pulldown and go to the next step. If you want to use a different outside port number, select Custom Ports from the list. Three additional pulldowns appear.  Select protocol as specified for your camera (typically TCP).  Leave Source port as Any.  In the destination Port field, select Specify.  An entry field appears.  Enter the outside port number on your router that you want to use to connect to your camera from the internet. 
  • Leave WAN Connection Type as All Broadband Devices.
  • In the Forward to Port pulldown, select "same as Incoming" if the camera port and your outside port are the same (i.e.. Both are port 80).  Otherwise, select Specify.  In the entry field that appears, enter you camera's port number.
  • Click APPLY.  The port forward rule should now appear in the list.