How to return a rented gateway ....,
idreos1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I purchased and configured my own router and want to return the fios gateway and stop renting it. Cannot believe how difficult it is to communicate with someone.

Have searched the my fios app which has not been helpful.

Have called Verizon "contact" phone number several times and have been told the wait time is over an hour.

I have been prompted to and left three messages for a callback and never received one.

Chat has not worked. Just get canned replies of no help

The only info on their website is about returning equipment after cancelling fios service

I have called several fios stores in Maryland with full voice mailboxes not accepting messages.

I have tried to post on verizon's support forum and an error message appears advising unable to post!

Could someone please help by telling me a safe way I can return their gateway??

Thanks for your help

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to return a rented gateway ....,
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, I wouldn't just drop it off at the UPS store.   Call the 800-number (or you can even do it via the online chat).  I got them to send me an RMA return label which I put on the box being used to return equipment.

Take that box with the return label affixed to the UPS store and get a receipt when you drop it off (make sure to take a picture of the label which also contains the tracking number and return number).

Then track it to delivery via UPS and once delivered, print out the delivery details showing the tracking number and receipt date/time, etc.

Now you have everything you need to prove that it was properly associated to your account (RMA label), that it was given to UPS, and that it was received by Verizon and when.

Optionally, if there's a FiOS store nearby (not a Wireless store), take it there directly and return it.  Again, be certain to get a receipt and keep it in your files.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Call 1-800-Verizon(8008374966) and type in your phone/account number say you want to return equipment to the prompt. Just called and got through in five minutes.

As far as returning goes they will either send you a box or you can drop off at UPS.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Take the router to a UPS Store that accepts Verizon FiOS equipment returns. Have them mail it back, and be sure to get tracking information for the package!

jonjones1
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

Take the router to a UPS Store that accepts Verizon FiOS equipment returns. Have them mail it back, and be sure to get tracking information for the package!

Which then trigger the old “we never received it back” routine with collecting the monthly fees, or the dreded you owe full price for router, which then triggers a collection action by verizon which customer can prove was received back. It then gets to your credit report which now gets ruined because of the false reporting.

many years ago i fought verizon on this customer is the responsible party to insure its received back, when verizon issued the return labels. It took a long time but eventually on the wireless side state attorney generals sided with the customer and this idiot practice was stopped.

time to do the same on the fios side.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, I wouldn't just drop it off at the UPS store.   Call the 800-number (or you can even do it via the online chat).  I got them to send me an RMA return label which I put on the box being used to return equipment.

Take that box with the return label affixed to the UPS store and get a receipt when you drop it off (make sure to take a picture of the label which also contains the tracking number and return number).

Then track it to delivery via UPS and once delivered, print out the delivery details showing the tracking number and receipt date/time, etc.

Now you have everything you need to prove that it was properly associated to your account (RMA label), that it was given to UPS, and that it was received by Verizon and when.

Optionally, if there's a FiOS store nearby (not a Wireless store), take it there directly and return it.  Again, be certain to get a receipt and keep it in your files.