Switch Account

How to stealth Fios router

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

How to stealth Fios router

Message 1 of 4
(1,070 Views)

How do I stealth the Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 router?  I use Mac, and I have my apple firewall set to "stealth", but it still responds to pings.  So I think it is the firewall in the router that allowing the response.  I would like to stealth the router, especially in light of the VPN Filter malware that is out there.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: How to stealth Fios router

Message 2 of 4
(1,063 Views)

@DFVerizon wrote:
How do I stealth the Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 router?  I use Mac, and I have my apple firewall set to "stealth", but it still responds to pings.  So I think it is the firewall in the router that allowing the response.  I would like to stealth the router, especially in light of the VPN Filter malware that is out there.

On this I don’t know. It is possible to turn off the SSID so the network cannot be found. But you will also have issues trying to find it yourself.

go to http://www.grc.com and do a scan for open ports etc. one of the tests is to look and see if you are in stealth mode.

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(1,025 Views)

I did the test at grc.com -- that is how I discovered that I was not in stealth mode, despite having set my Apple FW in stealth mode.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 4
(979 Views)

@DFVerizon wrote:

I did the test at grc.com -- that is how I discovered that I was not in stealth mode, despite having set my Apple FW in stealth mode.

Great minds think alike 😀

like I said I don’t use that Verizon router but a Netgear Nighthawk but in stealth mode or not people have got to calm down. I could run my network wide open and my neighbors are so old (line me) that they couldn’t login to my network even without passwords. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.