How to stealth Fios router
DFVerizon

How do I stealth the Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 router?  I use Mac, and I have my apple firewall set to "stealth", but it still responds to pings.  So I think it is the firewall in the router that allowing the response.  I would like to stealth the router, especially in light of the VPN Filter malware that is out there.

0 Likes
Re: How to stealth Fios router
jonjones1
Legend

@DFVerizon wrote:
How do I stealth the Verizon Quantum Gateway G1100 router?  I use Mac, and I have my apple firewall set to "stealth", but it still responds to pings.  So I think it is the firewall in the router that allowing the response.  I would like to stealth the router, especially in light of the VPN Filter malware that is out there.

On this I don’t know. It is possible to turn off the SSID so the network cannot be found. But you will also have issues trying to find it yourself.

go to http://www.grc.com and do a scan for open ports etc. one of the tests is to look and see if you are in stealth mode.

0 Likes
DFVerizon

I did the test at grc.com -- that is how I discovered that I was not in stealth mode, despite having set my Apple FW in stealth mode.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@DFVerizon wrote:

I did the test at grc.com -- that is how I discovered that I was not in stealth mode, despite having set my Apple FW in stealth mode.

Great minds think alike 😀

like I said I don’t use that Verizon router but a Netgear Nighthawk but in stealth mode or not people have got to calm down. I could run my network wide open and my neighbors are so old (line me) that they couldn’t login to my network even without passwords. 

0 Likes