Re: How to upgrade from COAX to Ethernet with Alcatel I-211M-H?
chromium
Enthusiast - Level 2

Great, i'll give this a shot tonight. I appreciate the help! 

DanTheMan20854

I have a similar looking ONT box in my backyard.  It is my understanding that to get the fastest connection possible I need to connect an ethernet cable form the ONT box to my router.  Is this correct? Looking at the picture provided by a previous post, does it go from my router (inside my house) to the Data/Mode/Link port in the ONT box? Also on the router which port do I use (WAN or LAN1-4)?  Since it's outside and I can't leave the router outside do I need to call an electrician or have a Verizon tech come to run the cable?

0 Likes
Luthraa

Which Ethernet port do you connect to in the ONT? The Data port or one of the Line 1/2 ports? We switched to a higher speed and while they are sending instructions with a cable, I’m wondering if I can do this with my own cable. Thanks. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The line 1/2 ports are phone lines.

The data port is Ethernet.  It should be connected to the Ethernet WAN port on the router.

Verizon can run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your desired router location.  They will most likely charge you to do this work.  They do not fish cables through walls.  The cables will be stapled to the outside of the walls.  You can do it yourself or hire a someone to run it.  An electrician is not required; in fact a home theater installer or datacomm person may be a better choice.  Even a good handyman can do this work.

0 Likes