How to use Verizon modem as regular router?
jboyer456

I have a Fios G1100 modem/router that is no longer the main box since we switched to another service. We're trying to use this one as a secondary router via ethernet or coax in another part of the house because the signal is poor (probably due to the walls). The room where it would go has an ethernet port and a coax hookup. Looking at some other posts, I tried disabling DHCP but it didn't do anything when trying to connect via coax. How can I set this up so that the Fios modem/router works as a second router?

0 Likes
Re: How to use Verizon modem as regular router?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) FiOS uses a router only, it is not a modem. It has a Moca adapter to support coax if necessary.

2) Google your router model number and access point. Should give you the instructions you need.

0 Likes
jboyer456

1) Thanks for this info
2) I did this and the methods mentioned didn't work or are not relevant

We have a new ISP (not Verizon/Frontier). We want to use this Fios G1100 as a secondary router in another part of the house via ethernet from the new service modem and distribute that signal via wifi. I've tried disabling DHCP, changing the IP range but those things are not working. I'm not tech illiterate but I would need step-by-step instructions for this particular setup. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
jboyer456

That is not what I need. I've attached a picture to show the setup. In the link you gave, which I looked at previously, it says to disable wireless and I would need that for the back room. I still went through those steps to see if the G1100 at least shows that a connection is coming through when connected to the ethernet port in the wall. I connected it to the WAN port and nothing. Again, all I'm trying to do is essentially go from the LAN out of the new service modem into the G1100 and use the wireless. image

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jboyer456wrote:

That is not what I need. I've attached a picture to show the setup. In the link you gave, which I looked at previously, it says to disable wireless and I would need that for the back room. I still went through those steps to see if the G1100 at least shows that a connection is coming through when connected to the ethernet port in the wall. I connected it to the WAN port and nothing. Again, all I'm trying to do is essentially go from the LAN out of the new service modem into the G1100 and use the wireless. image

I don’t know what your trying to do, I am confused reading your post. Your jpeg is not showing yet.

this link here https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios? can walk you through the different ways of connecting your router either in bridge mode or access point mode.

personally I would simply use the Fios router as the primary (ethernet from ONT to WAN port on Quantum router) to get dhcp. Then use another router as the access point via ethernet from the LAN port (1-4) to the WAN on the owner supplied router. You could run ethernet through your walls or under the baseboards, under the rug etc. to get to that other section of the house.

if you need WiFi in both parts of the home make sure WiFi is on both routers. However it may cause signal interference. That is why you normally turn off WiFi on the Quantum because it has inferior WiFi (just google it). 

Make sure to change the wifi SSID on one or both routers to make it easier to find and connect. Something like wifi1 or WiFi 2 and WiFi 3 and WiFi 4 or guest 1 etc. make the passwords all the same. In my setup I use a Netgear extender so I have netgear2.4 & netgear5 and on the extender I call them netgear2.4_ext & netgear5_ext but passwords are all the same. No issues 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jboyer456wrote:

Ok jpeg now showing. Verizon does not use modems that is the first issue.

the set up should be 1) ONT on wall to either Fios Quantum router via ethernet.(this gets you a dhcp from Fios and you are on the internet) then

2) 4-5-6 port switch connected to Quantum Gateway Router at LAN PORT

3) if no switch the ethernet that was previously snaked through the walls should be connected to the LAN PORTS on the primary router. And then take your secondary router and connect it to the WAN PORT on the router. (Ethernet from primary routers lan through switch or connector that has the ethernet to the second location) 

the secondary router should fire right up. In accesspoint mode. It will assign the ip addresses and you use that WiFi for that area. If you still want the Quantum to handle the area where it’s located leave it alone. You may from my other post simply see that no conflicts exist. If not you are good to go.

i could probably set it up faster than I am trying to tell you. And I am not good at drawing 😀

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) If the new service is truly a modem only, the provider wiill probably only work on 1 router (they will only supply 1 IP address). If so, then you will need to connect FIOS router direct to other router.

2) Enabling the WIFI should work once you can get router into bridge mode.

jboyer456

"(this gets you a dhcp from Fios and you are on the internet)"

As stated before, we don't have Fios anymore and are trying to use this Fios G1100 as the secondary router. Connecting from the LAN port of the main router to the WAN of the G1100 doesn't do anything.

0 Likes
jboyer456

It's an Arris TG1672 with the wifi disabled by the ISP (it's an additional fee), so not a modem. I tried these steps again (https://www.flyn.org/notes/g1100-bridge/index.html) without disabling the wireless and still nothing. When I connect from the LAN of the Arris to the WAN of the G1100, the globe on the G1100 starts to blink white then red as if it knows there's a connection there but can't get it sorted. 

0 Likes