Re: How to use Verizon modem as regular router?
jonjones1
Legend

@jboyer456wrote:

"(this gets you a dhcp from Fios and you are on the internet)"

As stated before, we don't have Fios anymore and are trying to use this Fios G1100 as the secondary router. Connecting from the LAN port of the main router to the WAN of the G1100 doesn't do anything.

Sorry I did not read the part you were not a Fios customer.

it is possible that the g1100 would like to be primary. However it cannot be primary on a cable connection. I can see used as a primary on another fiber network.

(Greenwave for Verizon Fios ) may possibly disable the functions outside of Fios service.

i cannot think of a solution.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The arris device is in fact a cable modem.

Try disconnecting living room router and see if g1100 router works.

And link I posted said to connect cable to LAN port of g1100 not the wan port.

It sounds as though your provider doesn't support multiple devices on the arris.

It hard for us to really do any more as the arris is not a FiOS device.

At least for me, hard to troubleshoot a device and service I don't have knowledge of.

0 Likes
meddle
Enthusiast - Level 2

There are a couple reasons your diagram is a bad idea.

1. It is likely your ISP will only supply one IP address. Likely they would supply another for more $$$.

2. You would have two networks that would require a lot of work to talk to each other.  A device on one router would not be able to ping a device on the other without much configuration.

A better idea could be to configure the back room router as an access point and connect in to your living room router.

Which router are you using for your firewall/Nat?

0 Likes