Howto access smtp server on-the-go
B_Maher_899
Typically, I use outgoing.verizon.net as my smtp server for sending mail with my FIOS email address. Is there another server/port I can use to send mail from my verizon account when I'm away from home?
0 Likes
Re: Howto access smtp server on-the-go
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're meant to use the outgoing mail server supplied by the ISP of the machine you are using.  Using the Verizon outgoing server may work but typically will get rejected for "relaying".  You can use the Verizon webmail interface which will work or the webmail interface for the isp who handles your mail box or you could get a free gmail account that supplies you with a gmail smtp server that always appears to work.

B_Maher_899
The problem is, there isn't always an ISP to speak of. For example, at a hotel. I want to be able to use my email client to send mail from anywhere.
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

The isp he's connected to couldn't care less where he's going.

outgoing.verizon.net should care.  They are really only meant to accept mail from one of their own subnets.

Mail relaying
Occurs when mail is forwarded from someone else through your mail server. Forwarding mail through a mail server is perfectly natural as long as either the originator of the message or the receiver is a local user. If neither the originator nor the receiver of the message is a local user, it is called third-party mail relaying. Usually the mail servers can be configured not to accept third-party mail relay, but often they are not. Mail servers that allow third-party mail relaying are of special attraction to "mail spammers" for sending large amounts of junk e-mail under false identity.

see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_mail_relay

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I use the outgoing.verizon.net smtp server all the time in Windows Live Mail (and formerly used Outlook Express) from outside the Verizon network, in hotels, AT&T at another house, etc. What port are you using? I switched to port 587 quite some time back (formerly used port 25), have not had any issues.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Agreed, that was Verizon's way of getting around it, I think you'll find that port 25 still works too from some of the smtp servers.  However the real way is to use the local isp to the machine you're on or the mailbox server prived webmail access.

0 Likes