Re: I Must be in Fios Heaven
jonjones1
Legend

@Sammy14221 wrote:

I am sure the jpeg or gif image will appear later. There is a hold time on photo posts.

jonjones1
Legend

@Sammy14221 wrote:

Yep great speed....😀

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

On the contrary, they are real world result...... jus tno for most of the communications people typically use.

The difference between the Verizon speedtest and most thrid party speed tests is that the Verizon speedtest uses UDP during the test (which does not require guaranteed delivery) whereas other use TCP (which requires guaranteed delivery, giving it more overhead and making it slower as a result)

In the optical network, account do get provisioned for Gigabit though (1024Mbps up/down) it's just non-dedicated so you might reach a slight low (980/880) though the FQG speed test says the speed may be go down as low as 750 up/down and pass.

jonjones1
Legend

From http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/UDP-User-Datagram-Protocol

“There are two types of Internet Protocol (IP) traffic. They are TCP or Transmission Control Protocol and UDP or User Datagram Protocol. TCP is connection oriented – once a connection is established, data can be sent bidirectional. UDP is a simpler, connectionless Internet protocol.“

its that simplier transport that is deceiving. Real world tests are mostly TCP which other speed sites use. So it’s like having a two lane highway where the right lane is faster because it makes no stops or exits to the destination.

the left lane is the slower traffic because it has exits and entries which make it more real world.

Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

RIght, this is precisely what I mean, however there are more software that you use day today that uses UDP than you might think.

FireFish1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@jonjones wrote:

I thought I was dreaming. I was reading that if you turn WMM off on your router, QOS to off, the speeds greatly increase. I know that one upload has to be incorrect but it showed twice at simular speeds so I must be dreaming.

Great speed even better today, or I must be the only person in the neighborhood that has this speed.

Wow, what mighty fast internet speeds you have! Smiley Surprised

Unfortunately for you (and I, who is also a Gigabit customer), those speeds are between your router and Verizon's swicthing station. Anything OUTSIDE of that will drop to 300-480 MBPs MAXIMUM. When you ask Verizon about this, they'll tell you "we only can speak for our speeds", and that is true. But seriously, what good is a Gigabit connection if the entire internet isn't hosted within your Verizon local switching facility? Anything outside gets cut down to half the speed.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ha ha I knew that was a false reading. Later using the speed test it was back to the “up to speeds 940/880 Verizon publishes” but I just loved that number for the short term. 😀

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jonjones wrote:

From http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/UDP-User-Datagram-Protocol

“There are two types of Internet Protocol (IP) traffic. They are TCP or Transmission Control Protocol and UDP or User Datagram Protocol. TCP is connection oriented – once a connection is established, data can be sent bidirectional. UDP is a simpler, connectionless Internet protocol.“

its that simplier transport that is deceiving. Real world tests are mostly TCP which other speed sites use. So it’s like having a two lane highway where the right lane is faster because it makes no stops or exits to the destination.

the left lane is the slower traffic because it has exits and entries which make it more real world.

What Seeker may be referring to is the QUIC protocol. Which is a TCP-esque protocol Google develops and of which is carried over UDP.

Here's a stream from YouTube. YouTube serves all videos over HTTPS and files can be downloaded as such. Transport is QUIC which is treated as UDP.

YouTube uses QUIC over UDP for faster session setup and video delivery. Doesn't necessarily improve overall throughput, but it does help with reliability on lossy links due to the way the QUIC protocol is structured. UDP in and of itself is pretty "dumb" being a fire and forget protocol. Many web services do use QUIC first, followed by traditional protocols provided it's supported on both server and client end.

Beyond that, I'm still having a hard time seeing that Verizon's speed test is UDP based. Every time I've sniffed / MITM'd a speed test out it's riding over TCP.

Lori12223

More like HELL!!!!!No internet and have been in hold for 1 hour 57 mins.  I am calling cablevision tomorrow morning.   This is crazy!!!!!

0 Likes