I do not have a WAN port in my apartment. What can I do to get internet without a WAN port?
KyFoxx803

I just recently moved into my first apartment. I got the fastest running internet router since My boyfriend and I both work from home and we also are not getting cable so we planned to just stream everything. When we got our router, the only way it can be activated is if its plugged into a WAN port. The apartment we have moved into only has LAN ports throughout. I tried connecting it to the coax port but since its a high speed internet im assuming that the port is not strong enough for an internet connection.

I am in desperate need of internet but can not seem to get through to anyone on how this can be achieved. If anyone has any suggestions that would be fantastic. I have already tried customer service twice and have been put on hold for 2 hours & I have been to 2 stores and they said they couldn’t help me. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I do not have a WAN port in my apartment. What can I do to get internet without a WAN port?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you ordered internet service?  If not, you can do it online.  Here's Verizon's order page:
https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/

Note your apartment has to be in an area served by Verizon to get FiOS.  If you enter your address on the above page, you'll quickly find out if they are able to provide you service.

FiOS requires an optical network terminal (ONT) to be installed in the residence.  The ONT converts between fiber and Ethernet.  It has the Ethernet WAN port on it.  If your apartment does not have an ONT or has an older model ONT, Verizon will need to send a technician to install / upgrade one.

If Verizon does not serve your apartment, you'll need to contact another internet provider.  In most areas this means the local cable company.  They, too, should have an online ordering system.

View solution in original post

Re: I do not have a WAN port in my apartment. What can I do to get internet without a WAN port?
Edrockvz
Enthusiast - Level 3

uh what kind of service does your apartment offer exactly? Did you sign up with verizon? If you did, you might need a router with a moca coax port. But you can try pluggin the wall LAN port to the router WAN port if you have some apartment provided internet deal.

jonjones1
Legend

Ethernet Wide Area Network (WAN) port

I am assuming this is what you are referring to. Photo may be delayed due to this forum.

if that is the case you need an ethernet cable (RJ-45) cat 5e or better. 
one end goes into the wan port on the router the other to the wall port. But the service must be turned on first. If verizon turned it on then you are all set to go.

you need to activate the router on verizons Service.

Ethernet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you ordered internet service?  If not, you can do it online.  Here's Verizon's order page:
https://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/

Note your apartment has to be in an area served by Verizon to get FiOS.  If you enter your address on the above page, you'll quickly find out if they are able to provide you service.

FiOS requires an optical network terminal (ONT) to be installed in the residence.  The ONT converts between fiber and Ethernet.  It has the Ethernet WAN port on it.  If your apartment does not have an ONT or has an older model ONT, Verizon will need to send a technician to install / upgrade one.

If Verizon does not serve your apartment, you'll need to contact another internet provider.  In most areas this means the local cable company.  They, too, should have an online ordering system.