I'm in a LOGIC twilight zone regarding my router
RT2002
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been putting up with a problem for a long time, my solution was to go and get a third party router, hook it up as the edge router facing the internet and hand the Actiontec behind it.  my third party router died recntly and is getting RMA'd, so I'm back to using the Actiontec.

I have a large house and family, with 8 computers and 5 game consoles throuout the house.  I think evryone in here is familiar with the firmware limitations of the Actiontec even the new GEN2 router is purpoted to have 6500 active connections, while the Westell 9100em has a limit of 130000 active connections.

my router freezes up about every 2 or 3 days, I can not even reach it from within the house's network, FROZEN SOLID, it takes a shut off and reboot.

I called in and after much painful wrangling I was told it would cost me 130.00plus to get a westell.  WHY should i have to pay for a device I am renting and that i depend on to buy movies , get a tv guide and do internet on ???

the 3 people i have spoken to so far tell me they will gladly ship me another Actiontec, this is where the LOGIC twilight zone comes into play  HOw would this fix my problem???  and to top it off they will "mark" me down as having gottne one and I am doing the request to get what I want as I was told by one of them.

I work in customer service and would get fired for that. of course we actually care about our customers.

I hope that when Verizon starts to see turn over in the fiber that Mr Seidenberg starts to ask questions. I will be sending him a copy of this letter  and dumping my stock.

0 Likes
Re: I'm in a LOGIC twilight zone regarding my router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Those, routers have issue(s).

Sources..

#1 http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

#2 http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Actiontec

^^
0 Likes
RT2002
Enthusiast - Level 2
ok so you are telling me what I just posted above right ?
0 Likes
dada1921
Enthusiast - Level 2

well i have a Westell 9100EM router and i have the same issue. i have 3 laptops and 1 pc and 1 game console. even if no1 is using the internet, my laptop is really slow and thats on a direct connection and not wireless. if someone can help with this router, it will be appreciated. thx.

i kno some ppl have problems with this router but is it my OS, window vista??? if so do i have to go back to windows xp b/c im not goin to buy a new network card...but even so, my xbox 360 has a slow connection too and i cant even play any multiplayer games b/c my ping is so high, ranges from 500-900 when its suppose to be less than 100 or even 50ms.

0 Likes
RT2002
Enthusiast - Level 2

sounds like you need to start a NEW TOPIC " need help with my 9100em"

sorry to hear about those high pings are you on DSL or FIOS?

you may need to open ports to the game console, laptops are always slower than desktops. I have an all GIGA network in my house and only 2 game consoles do wireless the others are wired up, also most gamer don't like doing hard IP addresses , but it's the only way to get stuff forwarded to that console guaranteed,  UPNP is still not a great thing and as far as security a bad thing.

do you want to trade routers ? I have the Actiontec and I want the 9100 I work in Pico so we can do a deal I'll trow in some money 😉 ??? I set up machines and work in this field. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@RT2002 wrote:

I have been putting up with a problem for a long time, my solution was to go and get a third party router, hook it up as the edge router facing the internet and hand the Actiontec behind it.  my third party router died recntly and is getting RMA'd, so I'm back to using the Actiontec.

I have a large house and family, with 8 computers and 5 game consoles throuout the house.  I think evryone in here is familiar with the firmware limitations of the Actiontec even the new GEN2 router is purpoted to have 6500 active connections, while the Westell 9100em has a limit of 130000 active connections.

my router freezes up about every 2 or 3 days, I can not even reach it from within the house's network, FROZEN SOLID, it takes a shut off and reboot.

I called in and after much painful wrangling I was told it would cost me 130.00plus to get a westell.  WHY should i have to pay for a device I am renting and that i depend on to buy movies , get a tv guide and do internet on ???

the 3 people i have spoken to so far tell me they will gladly ship me another Actiontec, this is where the LOGIC twilight zone comes into play  HOw would this fix my problem???  and to top it off they will "mark" me down as having gottne one and I am doing the request to get what I want as I was told by one of them.

I work in customer service and would get fired for that. of course we actually care about our customers.

I hope that when Verizon starts to see turn over in the fiber that Mr Seidenberg starts to ask questions. I will be sending him a copy of this letter  and dumping my stock.

Well, several things.

First you are not renting the router. It was free when signing up for service. But that is neither here nor there.

Second, changing from actiontec to westel will not solve the issue unless it is a physical problem with the router itself. Both the actiontec and westell use the same software. Different manufactures but both are loaded with the same Verizon software and if the problem is software related, it will make no difference.

They are offering to replace the router as if it is a problem with the hardware, this will likely take care of it. If the problem is software related, it wont matter either way.

This is why so many people switch to using a third party router, not because of the hardware, but because of the software being used to run it.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-07-2009 08:34 AM
0 Likes