I need a "wireless bridge" to FioS ActionTec
Mowgli
All, I am very new to this, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I tried two routers/bridges (one was Airport Extreme) so far, but no luck.  I live in a 3 story town home. My ActionTec that came with FioS is downstairs and I have some components (Samsung LCD, PS3 and Dish Vip 622) upstairs in 2nd floor.  They all take ethernet connections and unfortunately, I have no way of fishing a wire without ripping dry walls. Is there any wireless bridge that can connect to ActionTec "wirelessly"?  I would like to use this for HD streaming. 

I appreciate your time and comments.

0 Likes
Re: I need a "wireless bridge" to FioS ActionTec
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
Are you looking for a device that will take wired connections in (your components) which will then connect to the Actiontec over wireless?
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Mowgli wrote:
All, I am very new to this, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I tried two routers/bridges (one was Airport Extreme) so far, but no luck.  I live in a 3 story town home. My ActionTec that came with FioS is downstairs and I have some components (Samsung LCD, PS3 and Dish Vip 622) upstairs in 2nd floor.  They all take ethernet connections and unfortunately, I have no way of fishing a wire without ripping dry walls. Is there any wireless bridge that can connect to ActionTec "wirelessly"?  I would like to use this for HD streaming. 

I appreciate your time and comments.

I would think of finding the best way possible to get an Etherenet cable to the second floor. A wireless connection for streaming video is not going to work best.

If your router gets its IP address over coax, and not from the Ethernet WAN port, I would say move your router to the second floor. If you relocate your router to the second floor, you would need a bi-directional splitter on your coax at the location. A wireless card on a computer in the basement would be cheaper the trying to find a wireless bridge at $100+. There is also a device called a Motorola NIM-100 that bridges coax to Etherenet you might find on Ebay.

Well I did a search on the web and found Linksys wireless bridge has dropped slightly from $99 down to $84, but I would still consider moving your router for best possible solution.

Message Edited by prisaz on 07-04-2009 08:52 AM
0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
In addition to the last post if you cannot get the router located on the second floor at least try to get a single Ethernet cable run to the 2nd floor and then buy a four port switch and then connect all your devices into that device.  May be the best and most reliable way to go.
0 Likes
emc2guru

A possibility would be routing a shielded, flat cat5 through your buildings duct work.  Take a look at how its routed, you may find its a quick drop down 3 stories and vents allow for frequent access when routing the cable.   Use a multi port hub on your 3rd floor and I would suggest using a cable VPI manufactures, which I have seen routed underground in Arizona.  It shields electric current, can handle any temp. created by a household heater and can easily be routed under carpet without detection. Heres a link http://www.vpi.us/cgi-bin/vpi/cat5e-sf-50-shld-ind.html. 

You really should have put your computer upstairs when verizon installed it, its even worth a shot to see what they can do to help you out.  Smiley Tongue

Good luck

0 Likes
Re: I need a "wireless bridge" to FioS ActionTec - solved
Mowgli
I love your duct idea. I think you just solved my problem.  And BTW, I bought all the cables from VPI. Thanks a bunch :-). 
0 Likes