I need to connect a second router for upstaris
bijan1

We used to have the router upstairs but it was moved to the first floor and apparently at the same time the cable that is in upstairs was disconnected. This was a while back. Recently I need to have a second router upstairs and I contacted Verizon and was told this is possible as long as the upstairs cable is active. Today I tried to connect the downstairs router upstairs to see if the cable was active but found out that the cable is no longer active. Since I know this cable was working before I have to conclude that the technician who connected the modom downstairs deactiviated the upstairs cable at the same time. My question is: how can I reactivate the upstairs cable so that I can run a second modem upstairs? I would prefer to do this myself rather than call Verizon for their tech to come out. I assume this would be free either way but if not, does anyone knows the cost? 

0 Likes
Re: ... connect a second router for upstaris - Wiring Plan
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@bijan wrote:

We used to have the router upstairs but it was moved to the first floor and apparently at the same time the cable that is in upstairs was disconnected ... I tried to connect the downstairs router upstairs to see if the cable was active but found out that the cable is no longer active ... how can I reactivate the upstairs cable so that I can run a second modem upstairs? ...

If you  have Verizon come out to reconnect a coax cable or run a new cable somewhere, you will very likely find out that there's a charge, and probably not a small one.  However you should be able to do the job on your own.

It should be easy to reconnect, but you must locate where the coax cables in your home terminate.  I.e., it's likely that all  the coax was at some time in the past run to one central location.  Previous wiring arrangements used splitters of some sort to connect them together and then connect to the incoming signal.  However it depends to some extent on how long ago your house was wired, because in the distant past variations on "daisy chain" wiring were used.  In such schemes all of the coax may not terminate at a common location.

The common terminus for your coax will most likely be in the basement, or on an exterior wall of the building.  If you know where the Verizon ONT is (that's the main Verizon box where the signal comes in and is distributed elsewhere), then that's probably where the splitters are and where the coax is terminated.  Once you determine the common location, you will be able to locate the disconnected coax and reconnect it to whatever splitter is there.  If there are insufficient terminals on the splitter, it's usually possible to get a larger splitter (more below).

From your description it  sounds like the installer disconnected the upstairs coax because he/she did not have enough terminals.  A larger splitter will fix this.  Just be sure your new splitter meets the required specifications: bidirectional, passes 5 - 2000 Khz.

0 Likes
bijan1

The Verizon tech did come out. He said the house is wired for full networking and can be setup to receive satellite, cox and verizon at the same time. He located the central location where all the coaxial cable go to in the basement and used splitters to hooked "everything" up. He also used a signal amplifier that he said only works with verizon signal that he plugged into an outlet that was in the central box. He said what I wanted to do, which was to hook up a second router upstairs is not possible and told me not to do it because "it will cause interupption of the internet to the house". When I asked him if there was any solution, he said you can network the house using the single router that is already in the house and said I need to use "cat5" networking. But said since the house is already pre-wired for networking the task is not to difficult and said if I call them and make another appointment they will charge between $55 to $90 (I think he meant for the entire hook up of the network but he might have meant per hour, I am not sure). I am trying to look into this cat5 networking which from what the verizon tech suggested is easy for our house because no cables need to be run inside the wals as the house is already ready for such setup. If anyone has more information on this cat5 networking or if they  think it is worth calling verizon for it and the charges for this let me know. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bijan wrote:

The Verizon tech did come out. He said the house is wired for full networking and can be setup to receive satellite, cox and verizon at the same time. He located the central location where all the coaxial cable go to in the basement and used splitters to hooked "everything" up. He also used a signal amplifier that he said only works with verizon signal that he plugged into an outlet that was in the central box. He said what I wanted to do, which was to hook up a second router upstairs is not possible and told me not to do it because "it will cause interupption of the internet to the house". When I asked him if there was any solution, he said you can network the house using the single router that is already in the house and said I need to use "cat5" networking. But said since the house is already pre-wired for networking the task is not to difficult and said if I call them and make another appointment they will charge between $55 to $90 (I think he meant for the entire hook up of the network but he might have meant per hour, I am not sure). I am trying to look into this cat5 networking which from what the verizon tech suggested is easy for our house because no cables need to be run inside the wals as the house is already ready for such setup. If anyone has more information on this cat5 networking or if they  think it is worth calling verizon for it and the charges for this let me know. 

You can add a 2nd router to any of the active coax connectors - it needs to be configured first not to act as a dhcp server and to have a static address on the the Verizon fios segment e.g 192.168.1.2

You can configure the router by using a standalone machine connected to a lan port of the new router and then logging on to it.  Once it is configured you would just connect the 2nd router to an active coax port.

You typically can get 2nd hand routers on ebay at fairly cheap prices or actiontec also make a device 9100em that does the same thing without the need for configuration.

rewiring the house with cat5/6 cabling can be a very expensive job depending on how far away you need to run the cables and also what access you have inside the walls etc.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

bijan wrote:

He said what I wanted to do, which was to hook up a second router upstairs is not possible

It is indeed possible.

Can I get an ethernet connection in a room with only coax?

bijan wrote:

[the tech said] they will charge between $55 to $90 (I think he meant for the entire hook up of the network but he might have meant per hour, I am not sure).

Usual charge is $79 per drop.

bijan wrote:

If anyone has more information on this cat5 networking

Google cat5 networking.  Lots of resources on the net.

if they  think it is worth calling verizon for it and the charges for this let me know. 

Only you can decide if it's worth it.

0 Likes
Murphy233

I too have a problem with WiFi reception in our bedroom, which has coax connection for the TV.

I hsve cable modem wireless router in our summer house n New Hampshire

How do I confuigure it to work on my system

What specs should I have to connect    

- modem ID and password?

If I get the WiFi signal consistent I will probably wanay t use a Chromecast  module in the bedroom

Don

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Murphy233 wrote:

I hsve cable modem wireless router in our summer house n New Hampshire

What does this have to do with Verizon FIOS? 

Verizon sold off it's FIOS footprint in NH several years ago.

0 Likes