I want to move my router to another room
Lumanachi

Hello, this is my first time being on fourms. I just recently got my router install but it was installed in my sister room. I really didn't care till I was told to get the heighest speed you need to have router connected directly to your pc. I called them about it, but to make the change they charged me with $170. They didn't really explain to why the price was so high but, what do I do?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I want to move my router to another room
jonjones1
Legend

@Lumanachiwrote:

Hello, this is my first time being on fourms. I just recently got my router install but it was installed in my sister room. I really didn't care till I was told to get the heighest speed you need to have router connected directly to your pc. I called them about it, but to make the change they charged me with $170. They didn't really explain to why the price was so high but, what do I do?

Don’t understand what you are saying. To get the highest speeds from the router is a direct connection to a lan port with an ethernet cable. Ethernet cables come in varying lengths. If the sisters room is close by you can run a cable to the router. Or you can simply use WiFi. Although WiFi is not as fast in any real case scenario the speeds should be enough for your home needs.

$170 is simply outlandish and pure greed. Don’t pay it. Just keep what you have.

in even the best case you can get an extender for your room that costs way less.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Lumanachiwrote:

Don’t understand what you are saying. To get the highest speeds from the router is a direct connection to a lan port with an ethernet cable. Ethernet cables come in varying lengths. If the sisters room is close by you can run a cable to the router. Or you can simply use WiFi. Although WiFi is not as fast in any real case scenario the speeds should be enough for your home needs.

$170 is simply outlandish and pure greed. Don’t pay it. Just keep what you have.

in even the best case you can get an extender for your room that costs way less.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Router is not dependant on connection.

So if you have a cable TV connection near the PC, you can just relocate it there yourself.

They may have priced tech visit assuming that a new cable run would be required which can be a substantial amount of work.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauthwrote:

They may have priced tech visit assuming that a new cable run would be required which can be a substantial amount of work.

Funny I was just reading at DSL Reports another posting saying that very same amount $170 

I don’t believe it’s the amount of work that is the factor it is a let’s raise the rates as the customers won’t notice. Now it’s $99 to $170 or is it for a relocation of existing service?

i have not seen any word on it. Just consumer complaints. 

0 Likes