I want to use Coax wall jack in my bedroom and here is photo of the wiring cabinet. Please help.
VerizCustom

Hello,

I live in an apartment and I'm using Verizon Fios Internet 100/100. 

My Verizon FIOS  Quantum Gateway is connected to the coax wall jack in my livingroom.

This is a photo of my wiring cabinet but one coax cable isn't connected.

I'm currently using wifi in my bedroom but it's slow. Thankfully, I have coax wall jack and ethernet wall jack in my bedroom. I would like to use the coax wall jack for now if it doesn't affect the internet speed because I want to avoid drilling bigger hole through the wall to the wiring cabinet.

As you can see in the photo I linked, the connected cable which is #4, goes to the ONT so I believe that's the Coax cable for the living room. #1 cable looks like coax cable and it is not connected. I think that's the one that goes to my bedroom. Am I right? If I'm right, should I use a splitter to connect single end of the splitter to the ONT, and connect #1,#4 to the double end of the splitter? If yes, which specific splitter would you recommend?

One thing I want to mention is that #1 is noticeably thicker than #4,2,3.

I'm not sure what #2,#3 are. Are they the ones that go to the bedrooms instead of #1?

Also, in the photo, there is an Ethernet jack in the wiring cabinet. If I connect this to the ONT, would the Ethernet wall jack in my bedroom work?

Please help me. Thank you !

https://imgur.com/a/WueM4sC

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I want to use Coax wall jack in my bedroom and here is photo of the wiring cabinet. Please help.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no way to tell from the picture where the cables go.  It looks like they have labels on them - do you trust the labels?  If not, buy a cable tester and then you can trace them.

You can use a splitter.  Connect the feed from the ONT to the input and connect the output to the rooms you want to get signal, including the room with the router.  The splitter should be designed for MoCA, but most modern ones are.  It looks like you have a four way splitter built into the wiring cabinet; you could try that if you want to turn on all four cables.  Otherwise, get a two way splitter.  You don't need to spend a lot of money on a fancy splitter.

Once you get this sorted out you'll want to convert coax to Ethernet.  You can do that with a MoCA adapter.  Verizon sells two; one with just Ethernet and one with Ethernet and Wi-Fi.  Check out this link:
http://verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Re: I want to use Coax wall jack in my bedroom and here is photo of the wiring cabinet. Please help.
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no way to tell from the picture where the cables go.  It looks like they have labels on them - do you trust the labels?  If not, buy a cable tester and then you can trace them.

You can use a splitter.  Connect the feed from the ONT to the input and connect the output to the rooms you want to get signal, including the room with the router.  The splitter should be designed for MoCA, but most modern ones are.  It looks like you have a four way splitter built into the wiring cabinet; you could try that if you want to turn on all four cables.  Otherwise, get a two way splitter.  You don't need to spend a lot of money on a fancy splitter.

Once you get this sorted out you'll want to convert coax to Ethernet.  You can do that with a MoCA adapter.  Verizon sells two; one with just Ethernet and one with Ethernet and Wi-Fi.  Check out this link:
http://verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Good luck.

VerizCustom

All the labels say is just a number. 

Do you think you can explain what the input and output are? Are the outputs you are talking about #2 and #3 in the photo? Then I guess it means one of them is already connected to the bedroom? And the other is probably the livingroom?

What splitters are MoCa compatible? Can you give me a link?

Is the Adapter this one? https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/ 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

There is no way for me to know where your cables go.  If you open the wall plates in the other rooms you may find a corresponding label that matches what’s in the box.  If you want to be sure, buy a cable tester.  You can find them online for $15 or so.

Splitters have an input port and a number of output ports.  I’m talking about the ports on the splitter itself, not your cables.  The signal to be split is connected to the input port and is  duplicated across all the output ports.  With FiOS, most of the signal comes from the ONT, thus the cable from the ONT should go to the input port while the feeds to each room connect to the output ports.  It's that simple.

FiOS uses MoCA to create a bi-directional data path on coax for internet.  It can pass through splitters in any direction.  It is how the router talks to the other coax devices including set-top-boxes and network extenders.  Any relatively recent splitter will work fine; there are literally hundreds of models to choose from.  You can buy one almost anywhere from Target to Lowes to Amazon.  Or, you might be able to reuse one from another location in your home that doesn't need a splitter anymore.  Just stay away from splitters that are more than 20 or more years old, they may not be MoCA compatible.

You have a 4-way splitter in your box connected to cables 2 and 3.  The splitter is not used; nothing is connected to it’s input.  My guess is the feed from the ONT used to connect to the input port and cables 1 and 4 were connected to the currently unused output ports.  That would have worked well for cable TV.  My further guess is FIOS was setup in only one room so the installer bypassed the splitter and connected the ONT directly to cable 4.  The 4-way splitter may work for MoCA, but it shouldn’t be used if only two ports are needed.  In that case, use a two-way splitter.

You found the Verizon Ethernet only adapter.  The $119 model has Ethernet and WiFi.

Enjoy.

VerizCustom

Thank you for your time and reply. I think I understood very clearly.

I see the orange Ethernet port on the 4 way splitter in the box. Can I connect Ethernet cable between the orange port in the box and the ONT ? Would that enable the Ethernet wall jack in the bedroom and other rooms work ? If yes, can I use regular cat6 or cat5 ethernet cables? Or is there a special Ethernet cable ?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How many coax jacks are in your apartment? Coax 1 looks like RG11 and is typically the feed from your cable provider. It is very unlikely that RG11 would be ran to a jack. It will be RG6 like the others. If Coax 1 is cable company's feed you don't want that connected.

Since you don't have a splitter you can move the router to your bedroom and disconnect coax 4 and connect the others one at a time until your router comes online. 
Connecting to the orange ethernet won't do anything. Whatever room the router ends up in take the LAN port of the router and connect it to the ethernet jack. Then you will need a ethernet switch in the panel to connect all the ethernet wires together. 

VerizCustom

Yes #1 is RG11. Does it mean it's useless in my situation?

Just wanted to mention that this wiring cabinet is located in the bathroom and the ONT is right behind the wall of this cabinet.

I thought the black panel is the splitter and either #2 or 3 goes to the bedroom.

I have only 2 Ethernet wall jacks. One in the bedroom and one in the livingroom.

So the orange Ethernet jack in the photo isn't for internet? I thought it would connect to the bedroom and livingroom. So are you saying I can't use the Ethernet wall jacks? and I have to buy long Ethernet cables?

Here is another photo just in case. The gold wire is phone cable which is not even connected to the ONT. ONT does have Ethernet jack though.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry yes the black panel is a splitter. You should be able to use it with no issues. Just take coax 4 and connect it to one of the OUT port and connect the ONT coax to the IN. 
I can't say for sure if the RG11 goes to a jack or is the Cable company feed but if your building has both FiOS and Cable the RG11 probably is the Cable feed. If so then yes it will be useless in your setup. 
If your router is connected with coax you are on MoCA WAN. The ethernet on the ONT is diabled unless using ethernet WAN. Your routers WAN connection is either ethernet or coax from the ONT, not both.

The jacks in your place are coax/ethernet jacks? How many total? If you want all the ethernet jacks in the apartment to work they need to be fed from the LAN port of your router. Just connect a short ethernet patch cord from the router's LAN port to the wall jack. That will then feed back to the panel and all the ethernet wires will have to be connected to an ethernet switch placed in the panel. 

VerizCustom

We have 2 bedrooms. Each has 1 Coax and 1 Ethernet wall jack. So total would be 3 Coax and 3 Ethernet wall jacks. Are you saying I have to buy long Ethernet cables to connect between the pc's in the bedroom to the orange Ethernet jack in the panel?

That would defeat the whole purpose. I thought the panel splits the Ethernet to the bedrooms and livingroom. So I thought all I have to do is connect Ethernet cable between the ONT and the wiring cabinet.

And when I tried this with the rep on the phone, the Ethernet wall jack goes to the WAN port on the Verizon Quantum Gateway router.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have only 3 jacks in your apartment then that RG11 is definitely the Cable Company feed. 
I'm confused I thought coax 4 was connected to the ONT. Why is the ethernet wall jack connected to the WAN port? Did the phone rep say to do that?

I have a feeling that orange jack is an RJ31x for an alarm. Can you see what type of wire connects to it?

The three ethernet jacks do feed back to the panel, but to make them "live" they have to be connected to the router's LAN(yellow) ports. Not the ONT. The ONT's ethernet port is only for the WAN(white) connection on the router. 
Are the coax and ethernet in the same jack? Or are they in separate places in the rooms? Basically whatever room the router is going to be in you will take an ethernet cable from the router's LAN and connect it to the ethernet jack in that same room. By doing this the wire in that jack will feed back to the panel. Then that ethernet can be connected to an ethernet switch in that same panel and connect to the other two ethernet wires. Then the other two room ethernet jacks will be live and you can connect a PC to the jack in that room.