I want to use my own Fios Modem instead of renting from Verizon.
KeroDude

Hi All,

I have been a customer to Fios for about 6 months now.  I decided that i want to use my own Modem rather than rent from Verizon.  Is this possible?  I currently am using the G1100 from Verizon.  I will by the same modem and replace the one i am renting from a 3rd party seller.  Please advise.  

Many thanks,

Khai

0 Likes
Re: I want to use my own Fios Modem instead of renting from Verizon.
jonjones1
Legend

@KeroDude wrote:

Hi All,

I have been a customer to Fios for about 6 months now.  I decided that i want to use my own Modem rather than rent from Verizon.  Is this possible?  I currently am using the G1100 from Verizon.  I will by the same modem and replace the one i am renting from a 3rd party seller.  Please advise.  

Many thanks,

Khai

You just need to release the dns first, then immediately unplug the router.

you then plug in the purchased router and power it on so it gets the dns. Then you are all set to go.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello! Verizon FiOS does not use modems. The G1100 is a router. 

You can however use your own router, but there are a few tricks first, do you have TV service through FiOS? If you do, the process is more complicated.

And does your current G1100 router have a coax cable running too it, or an ethernet cable? You can check by looking at the back. Which cable in the picture below is connected to your router? 

Once you know this information we can help you to the next step. 

0 Likes
KeroDude

Thanks for the direction!

0 Likes
KeroDude

Hi JustinG,

Yes, i do have fios tv and yes it does have a coax cable in the back.  From the pic below, its the coax that is connected from the wall to the router.  

many thanks,

Khai

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, okay. 

Unfortunately, if you do have Verizon FiOS TV Service, it's hard to swap out the Verizon router for your own.

However, if you did purchase a Verizon router, then you woulden't have to pay the rental fee. I personally don't have experience buying the G1100 off the internet, but I assume it should work (it dosen't have to be permitted by Verizon). Personally I would suggest you get one of the older Actiontec routers off ebay (Around $20 used), and then purchase your own WiFi access point to handle the wireless side of things (The G1100 are a little pricy for what you get, in my opnion). 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things

1) don't buy something too old. Verizon has a surcharge if you aren't using one of the newer routers

2) be careful about buying routers off eBay. If someone is selling more than a couple, they might be stolen.

JroDRiga13

Justin,

I will be discontinuing my TV service through FIOS but will keep the internet.  I have a NETGEAR router that is currently bridged through the G1100.  If what I've been reading off these posts is correct, I will be able to utilize my NETGEAR router and return the G1100 so I no longer have to pay the rental fee.  Correct?

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello!

Yes, if you are cancelling TV service then you don't have to worry about the Verizon routers at all. However, you do need to consiider how the current router is wired. 

You will need to look above at the image I previously posted about the connections on the back off the G1100. Do you see an Ethernet or Coax cable plugged into it?

If you have an Ethernet cable, then your good to go, and you'll be able to use your own router. If you have a Coax cable only with no Ethernet cable at all, it can be more complicated, and often involves running a new wire, but it can be done. 

Once you know what you have you can proceed from there.

0 Likes