Re: I want to use my own router and keep tv guide
NSinha
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I have a Tivo and so don't need access to the set top guide etc. Do i even need to have the Fios Quantum Gateway 1100 set up initially ? Can't i just have the technician plug the WAN ethernet cable into my router from the get go ?

Thanks,

NS

0 Likes
PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought I had it and lost it. Turned off all routers for over 2 hours. The Nighthawk initially did not hook up, but on a whim I hit the reset button and it worked!

Then I hooked a LAN output to the G1100 input, plugged it in and waited while it initialized. TV on but two problems. No TV guide info and the remote response was very sluggish. I figured that it had a lot of data to download so I went away for a while.

Came back and my program data was restored and all was cool.

But.... I had to go and hit the widgets button. It said that the STB had no connectivity and I had to reboot it. And if that didn't work, I had to reboot my router.

Rebooted the STB. Nada. Rebooted the G1100, nada.

On the program guide, it now says that there is no connectivity. It didn't say that before. I don't understand how I could go from almost there to no connectivity.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Should the G1100 be in bridge mode? or some other setting?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not using Verizon stb, then you can use whatever router you wish.

Make sure to ask them to provision internet via Ethernet not coax.

PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

You must be confusing me with someone else. I have a Verizon STB & G1100. I wanted to use my Nighthawk as a router instead. After much prolems, I now have the nighthawk working. Initially, the STB was also connected but somehow that connection dropped and I can't get it back.

I have a hunch that there is something else needed to be set on the G1100 but don't know what. Please advise. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PaBlum wrote:

You must be confusing me with someone else. I have a Verizon STB & G1100.

I was replying to Nsinha who also posted in this thread.

PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry, I thought you were replying to me. Any advice on my situation? It was weird: it appeared to be working, then not.

Paul

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PaBlum wrote:

Then I hooked a LAN output to the G1100 input, plugged it in and waited while it initialized.

Hey Paul! Just to confirm, you connected an ethernet cable from one of the black LAN ports of your nighthawk into the single white port of the G1100, labeled "WAN"? Here is an image to explain better what the cable should be connecting too. If the cable is connected to any of the yellow "LAN" ports on the G1100, that will cause issues.

PaBlum
Enthusiast - Level 2

That is correct. The LAN port on the Nighthawk to the WAN port on the G1100.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a good idea of whats up here. Just to re-confirm, your nighthawk is connected, and you can access the internet from it?

I believe the problem is that your Nighthawk is handing out LAN IPs in the range of 192.168.1.X, which is also what the G1100 hands out, so the G1100 and Nighthawk network are overlapping.

You'll need to change the IP range that the G1100 uses for the set top boxes. To do this, please login to the G1100 (Easiest way to do this would be to plug an ethernet cable from the G1100 into your computer). Go to http://192.168.1.1/ and enter the username and password listed on the side of the router.

Once you've logged in follow these steps:

Click My Network at the top of the screen. Then click Network Connections on the sidebar of the page that will appear.

Click on Network (Home/Office).

Click the Settings button at the bottom of the page.

Look for the portion of the settings page which says Use the following IP address:, you should see 192.168.1.1. This is what you have to change.

Change the address to 192.168.5.1.

You just need to change two more settings before moving on. Scroll down a bit to the IP Address Distribution section. You'll see a "Start IP address" and "End IP address" section. Change these from 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.5.2 and 192.168.5.254.

Your configuration should look like this (images may not always show up due to them needing moderated manually): image

Lastly, click Apply at the bottom of the page. The Verizon router will reboot. Reboot your set top boxes, and check for connectivity.

I'm 99% sure this should solve your issue Smiley Happy