Re: I want to use my own router and keep tv guide
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately, yes. 169.x.x.x are addresses that the computer assigns itself when there is no other network available, that value is not assigned from the router. 

Was this unit purchased used or refurbished? And how was it performing prior to the Verizon switchover? Although it may seem like it, I can assure you that these problems are not due to using a Verizon connection, regardless of the bad timing. 

You can attempt to re-flash the firmware yourself using TFTP, but this option is pretty technical. If you have the option to RMA it, I would try that first.

Otherwise, I could walk you through the TFTP recovery process. Heres some more info on it if you were interested: 

Tobenits18
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing worked. Thanks for all the help though. I even tried to ping router when I had a static IP. Kept on timing out. I believe this one is still covered by the warranty. Will see how it goes with Netgear. Decided to place the G1100 back in until I get this resolved.

0 Likes
Mister914
Enthusiast - Level 2

I followed this guide and while I got the STB boxes to pull guide and VOD info, I can not get the actual VOD video to play, it shows on the timeline it is playing but I get no sound or picture. 

Just to make sure as well, I went and just used the Verzion router alone and everything worked as normal.

I have the G1100 Router and I'm using a Netduma R1 as my primary. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello! 

If your STBs are pulling guide info, then everything is setup correctly. The issue is with the Netduma router, I've tried searching around the net on how it handles certain tasks, as from what I've read its supposed to protect users from DDoS and all sorts of other things.

The Verizon STBs get their VOD files from Verizon's VOD servers, which lives in the IP range 108.57.152.0/21 (At least thats what my boxes use, but I'm 99% sure thats network-wide).

Doing a quick packet dump from my pFsense router, we can see that it streams the videos in the format of "MPEG TS", meaning the video files are uncompressed. I've seen single 720p video files eat up 10+ Mbps of constant bandwidth. 

Is it possible the Netduma is seeing this as a DDoS or something of the like? I wish I could help you more, but your router's configuration goes really in depth according to their website. 

Basically, try to look into whitelisting / setting up QoS rules on your router to allow full, unrestricted access to the 108.57.152.0/21 network, and also possibly look into if your router blocks MPEG TS Packets, that could hopefully solve your problem. 

Mister914
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is QoS/whitelisting, sorry just not very knowledgeable when it come down to some of this.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh, I think I see the problem! 

From some testing, I believe the Verizon VOD servers only allow access from Verizon IPs. According to the netduma site, your router has a "hybrid VPN" setup, meaning your IP won't look like a Verizon address. 

Take a look here: https://netduma.com/features/one-click-vpn/, please make sure the VPN is not enabled for the IP of the Verizon equipment. (Or just for testing, disable the VPN entirely for now). 

If disabling the VPN still dosen't work, it might be worth reaching out to Netduma support to see how how to stop the Netduma from blocking the video feed. 

Mister914
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin thanks for your help. I decided to use the Fios router first and have that do my devices and then just plugged in my Netduma into a LAN port of and just have my consoles running on that so I can still use the Geo-filter. Eaiser and I get to keep all the Verizon services.

Mister914
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I went back and am trying to get everything running through my Netduma.

I have properly bridged the G1100 and have the Netduma handling everything, Handing out IP's, all my STB boxes work and are also assigned IP's from the Netduma, get guide data, even Remote DVR and in screen caller ID work, but for some reason I still can not get VOD to playback, it loads up everything, then when I hit play it just goes to a blank screen.

When I go back the the video it does show that it has been playing since I get a resume playback option.

ive also could firmed all services are up including my server through the STB VMS system info.

I'm so confused as to why everything else works but this one feature.

Am I missing some port forwarding rule for VOD that I do not see.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I had to call verizon to have them re provision the ont for ethernet access,  You no longer have to do that?

DanKur101
All is working but when I do a speedtest from the primary Asus router from speedtest.net, frontierspeedtest or, dslreportsspeedtest I get low upload speeds and bufferbloat from dslreport test. When I do same test on the FIOS-G1100 all is good. all STBs, multi room DVR, guide and, on-demand features are all working. Do I need to reboot the ONT? Should I be able to plug the ethernet cable from ONT directly into PC and get internet; wanted to do a speedtest without router? Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated
0 Likes