Re: I want to use my own router and keep tv guide
jonjones1
Legend

@DanKur101 wrote:
All is working but when I do a speedtest from the primary Asus router from speedtest.net, frontierspeedtest or, dslreportsspeedtest I get low upload speeds and bufferbloat from dslreport test. When I do same test on the FIOS-G1100 all is good. all STBs, multi room DVR, guide and, on-demand features are all working. Do I need to reboot the ONT? Should I be able to plug the ethernet cable from ONT directly into PC and get internet; wanted to do a speedtest without router? Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated

The problem many customers are not understanding is Verizon does not guarantee the speeds they state "up to" now having said that you have a problem in Verizon's speed test is from a closed proprietary network. It would be like pinging your own router to see the connect speed. In this case you are not actually going out to the general shared net.

when I do Verizon speed tests I get 956/880 plus or minus on time of day etc.

when I test at speedtest net or dslreports or many other speed sites I get readings all over the place. I have reached 790/680 and many other times 540/430 again higher lower but not by much.

when I first obtained gigabyte service I was at 980/320 and I called tech services.

the first guy said "why complain, you have more speed than what you actually ever had" I pointed out that had nothing to do with it. However he transferred me to a higher level tech who said it was not provisioned correctly. Then in a moment of levity he said he could not get it to adjust. He put a trouble ticket in for engineering to look into it.

After three days I called back and this nice lady said she will text the engineer and find out what was up. This engineer stated it still was not fixed but guaranteed it would be by Monday. And low and behold it was fixed. The readings are still all over the place but it is better than it was.

give Verizon a call to check your provisioning.

Good Luck

DanKur101

Thanks for the fast reply jonjones,

I have the 75/75 package. My Asus ac88u is plugged into the ONT NIC ethernet port to my WAN. If I speed test any of the Asus LAN ports I get 80+Mbps down and 3 to 10Mbps upload. If I speed test Asus 2G wifi I get 80+ up and down. If test the FIOS-g1100 plugged into Asus LAN to FIOS-G1100 WAN I get 80+Mbps up and down with no bufferbloating as well from dslreports speed test. I can get the provisioned speed from everthing but the Asus LAN ports upload with a sickning amount of bufferbloating.

QoS, Portforwarding or, anything else hasn't been changed yet. Called Asus with no help or understanding what the problem is.

Im gonna unplug router and the ONT-NIC this time for a couple of hours then see if anything changes. Also release DHCP in the Asus prior to connecting.

If this fails, I'll call Frontier and will have to pay 15 extra a month for there 2nd tier service support since they will not give me support for someone elses router.  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@DanKur101 wrote:

I have the 75/75 package. My Asus ac88u is plugged into the ONT NIC ethernet port to my WAN. If I speed test any of the Asus LAN ports I get 80+Mbps down and 3 to 10Mbps upload. If I speed test Asus 2G wifi I get 80+ up and down. If test the FIOS-g1100 plugged into Asus LAN to FIOS-G1100 WAN I get 80+Mbps up and down with no bufferbloating as well from dslreports speed test. I can get the provisioned speed from everthing but the Asus LAN ports upload with a sickning amount of bufferbloating.

QoS, Portforwarding or, anything else hasn't been changed yet. Called Asus with no help or understanding what the problem is.  

Install ASUSWRT-Merlin firmware to your ASUS router. That firmware is customized stock ASUS firmware, and has numerous pages and settings which might help you troubleshoot the issue more. No need to pay the ISP for Tier 2 support, and chances are they won't be of much help anyways.

jonjones1
Legend

@DanKur101 wrote:

Im gonna unplug router and the ONT-NIC this time for a couple of hours then see if anything changes. Also release DHCP in the Asus prior to connecting.

If this fails, I'll call Frontier and will have to pay 15 extra a month for there 2nd tier service support since they will not give me support for someone elses router.  

I would follow the advice of my friend below. You can update the firmware and that may work. I would also consider the age of the Asus and it may simply be a bad device.

i see the other router is giving you good speed. I would then think faulty device.

i always keep extra routers and switches and cables and connectors etc. since I hate having to mess around with my devices. 

0 Likes
UnderwaterMike

Just returned to FiOS after a dreaded two-year stint on Cox (which, admittedly, was much easier to configure). I read this entire thread as well as the referenced FAQ on DSL reports, and still have a question:

I have an Asus RT-AC68U which I prefer to use for my own routing and network tasks. Given that I am kind of OCD, I'd prefer to simply use the G1100 to grab the IP from Verizon, and let my Asus hand out all the client IPs via DHCP or fixed IP, depending on whether the device is permanent or guest, including the STB's. But, for simplicity's sake, my assumption was that I should use option #3 from the DSL Reports list to keep all my own traffic behind my router by assigning it a static IP on the G1100, using a different subnet for my own network, and letting the G1100 handle the TV-related issues.

Does this seem like the best option? Whenever I tried in past FiOS subscriptions to put my router in front, it was nearly impossible to get support for line issues without tearing out everything and placing the Verizon router back in front.

Related: I went ahead and bought the G1100, to avoid the monthly charges, and use the Verizon-supplied STB's on my three screens. Each of the STBs is connected via coax, but could they also get all their necessary guide, etc., info off the Ethernet port on the back if I plugged them into my network? If not, WTH is that port on the box for?

Thanks a ton for any help.

0 Likes
highwingers

My Internet works fine from the ethernet. I am using my own wifi router. My problem is TV Guide. my TV is not working. I cant watch any channels. So if I were to buy a Verzion G1100 Router and connect its WAN port to the LAN of my Wireless Router Then you think it will work? 

And do you know if I wanted to switch back (To get my TV to work) from Ethernet to Moca then I have to call verizon again?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably not.

Best way to do it is to have Quantum router first then yours behind it.

Rolan2

I just had Fios installed this morning and fiddled with a combination of their Quantum router, my own TP-Link router, and the STB for about 2 hours. 

I ended up using just my own router with the STB connected to one of the LAN ports. Everything works fine without the need of the Quantum router at all (I'm going to return it).  I did configure a static ip of 192.168.1.100 for the STB and had to reboot the STB once but after it came back online, I had full access to "Video on demand" and all the TV listings. By going to Menu->Settings->System Information->(click info button)
on the STB you can check if everything's connected and working.

0 Likes
royf1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the info. Just what i was looking for. Just switched from the free router (shown in your post) to the dual channel router (also shown in your post). I am not satisfied with the new router's performance in terms of its wireless output. Also, i am experimenting with different tv streaming services to maybe replace verizon's tv service, and while i expected no lag or interuption in the broadcast with the new 75/75 upgrade from 25/5, there seems to be no difference at all. I am suspicious of this net neutrality business and the throttling down practice.

I am in a small townhouse and most of my devices can not even find the high speed channel and if they do, i often lose the signal. My plan is to send the new one back and replace it with the netgear nighthawk AC1900. I'm going to reconnect the old (free) router by coaxial to the ONT, and run cat6 from the ONT to the nighthawk, then follow your instructions. I understand i must use cat6 for all my ethernet connections (the one between the 2 routers, to maintain on demand and programming info) (and the one from new router to the desktop).

Just in case i still don't have as strong a signal upstairs as i want, i ordered a range extender with good reviews, though i wonder about it's AC1750 spec not matching with the AC1900 nighthawk. That shouldn't be a problem, right? My hope is that i won't need it at all and can send it back.

My only insecurity is the order of sequence to this project and if i will need to speak with a verizon tech to make any setting changes. I read where it may take 2-3 hours for my new router to be recognized and given an ip address (?) or something, once it is connected to the ONT.

If you could assure me that i have this all straight, i sure would appreciate it. thanks! 

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello royf!

Your setup sounds almost 100% correct, with just a few changes.

First, don't worry about connecting the old Verizon router directly into the coaxial port on the ONT itself. It can remain plugged into any coaxial outlet in your whole house. If you did directly connect the coax from the router to the ONT, then your TV service won't work. The only cable that needs to be directly connected to the ONT is the Ethernet cable.

Do you currently have any Ethernet running to your router? If you are running the new Ethernet line where there previously was no Ethernet, just a heads up you will need to contact Verizon support and ask them to provision your Ethernet port on your ONT. This process normally takes a few minutes once you get through to a competent tech support rep. If you don't do this, then your ethernet port will remain physically disabled and will seem like its not working.

Good move on using Cat6, its the most futureproof and best quality cable you could use right now. 

So you mentioned using the range extender. You can most certainly do this with your setup, but do note that your old router has to be made into a MoCA bridge. To do this, follow these steps exactly: https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html (Make sure you reset your old router to factory settings first, by holding the "reset" button with a pin for 10 seconds, then follow instructions).

Fun fact, if you are still having issues streaming, 99% of the time WiFi is the culprit, not the FiOS service. If you have Coax running to most of your house, you can actually purchase additional Verizon MI424WR routers off ebay, and if you follow the instructions above you can also make them MoCA bridges, so you can use your existing coax cable to extend a wired ethernet signal! Optionally you could also by a MoCA adapter off Amazon for about $80, but most old Verizon routers can be found on ebay for around $15-20, and it just takes a few extra minutes using the DIY instructions to make your own MoCA bridge.

Please post back with any issues or questions you have!