Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

I want to use my own router and keep tv guide

SOLVED
PaBlum
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I want to use my own router and keep tv guide

Message 21 of 77
(19,841 Views)

Thanks! I'll give it a try tomorrow morning and report back.

PaBlum
Contributor
Contributor

Message 22 of 77
(19,826 Views)

YES! Perfect! Thank you muchly!

CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 23 of 77
(19,811 Views)

One thing to be concerned about.

What you are looking at is a double NAT situation.

You may not be able to remotely control your DVR or view DVRd material.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
pl626
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 24 of 77
(19,740 Views)

I've been using non-V* routers in front for years.  I currently have an ASUS RT-AC68U in front of the V*, which is only a MOCA bridge.  I turned the DHCP off along with the wireless. 

The only function I don't have is the remote-access dvr.  Not a big deal for me.  Bandwidth is more important to me.

CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 25 of 77
(19,733 Views)

Why do you say you get better bandwidth with your router in front?

Never had a speed or bandwidth issue with my Verizon routers.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
trajik78
Contributor
Contributor

Message 26 of 77
(19,649 Views)

This is perfect. Releasing the DHCP was what I was missing. Once I did that and plugged my OnHub into the ONT it lit right up and works great. No more Verizon router! I did have to speak with tech support beforehand to have them enable my Ethernet port.

AMG989
Contributor
Contributor

Message 27 of 77
(19,249 Views)

I have not done it yet, but I believe you need to call Verizon and have them switch your ONT from coax to Ethernet. They can do it while you are on the phone. I am not unhappy with the G1100 but I have at least 20 plus wireless devices, a Wink hub, plus the STBs. I believe that you can use the Verizon router as your MoCA adapter by plugging the WAN into your router's LAN port. I have heard the apps, etc all still work. Another option is purchasing an Actiontec MoCA adapter to replace the Verizon router. The adapter allows your guide, on demand and DVR to use Ethernet to Coax.  Please correct me if I am wrong. 

Howie411
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 28 of 77
(19,215 Views)

When you say switch your ONT from COAX to Ethernet.  How do you know if this is done?  Currently my setup has both a COAX and Ethernet feed going into my G1100 router.   I'm guessing based on that my Ethernet is active?

JustinG
Silver Contributor V Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V

Message 29 of 77
(19,189 Views)

Howie,

Yes most likely if you already have an ethernet port run to the WAN port of your G1100, your ONT is likely already provisioned.

Test this by unplugging the coax from the router and checking if you still have internet connectivity. 

Howie411
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 30 of 77
(19,165 Views)

Thanks, ok so Ethernet is enabled and I mostly have this setup.    My only issue is I cant get On Demand working, its telling me I have no connection.   The TV Guide is working correctly though.   Now if I move the ethernet from the lan on my router to the G1000, the On Demand works but then my regular internet doesnt work as it keeps connecting me to the FIOS router as the main router.     The odd thing is when I click connected devices it shows the FIOS router as 192.168.5.157, but I cant actually get to it since I'm on a 192.168.1.X  addresss.    Any ideas?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.