I want to use own router and keep TV Guide and tried everything
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, 

Firstly I have followed the steps in the stickied thread. 

I also followed the same setup guide that someone else had used and who was using an almost identical setup to me and still, no guide is showing up and at times my router says it is not sending internet to the G1100, despite the internet (globe) light being white. 

My current setup is ethernet to the WAN on my router (Netgear Nighthawk XR500) and coax to the G1100. I then have a coax to the STB in another room. From my router I am sending an ethernet cable from the first LAN port to the WAN port of the G1100. The globe icon on the G1100 is white which means it it receiving internet so I don't know what the issue is. Last thing I did on the G1100 was disable both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wireless internet but that is it.

I have reset all devices several times and have found nothing to work. I want to say it was working for a while and has since stopped but can't confirm. The DHCP was released and applied on the G1100 before I switched over and I re-did it tonight. 

As of right now, I decided to give the G1100 a static IP on the router and as a result the internet light on the router is currently a steady white whereas it used to turn red after a few minutes. Either way, the globe icon on the G1100 has always been white when hooked up to the router. I checked the network usage and it seems when it first connects there is a small transfer of data but eventually it comes to a halt. I don't know if that means there is no signal or if it just doesn't need to send or receive anything, especially since no devices are connected to it.

TV is working but simply says "No Program Info" and the system info says it is offline. 

I've looked up all the guides and have honestly run out of ideas. I believe it should be working but not sure what I'm missing. 

I did notice that my router is reporting that the G1100 is offline and doesn't have an IP which is weird, could that be the issue? I'm not sure why it would be saying that though. As I said, the globe is white so you would think it is receiving the correct signal. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My internet is perfect right now, all I need is the TV guide. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I want to use own router and keep TV Guide and tried everything
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well it's been several days and so far it is working without any hassle. The TV STB is still reportedly online and the TV Guide is updated to 7+ days now. The MoCA Adapter hasn't shut off at all and I can still a fairly consistent data transfer between the STB and the router. 

Thank you so much for your help, I don't think I would have resolved it without you. I consider myself fairly tech savvy but before this I honestly had no clue about MoCA networks so I definitely learned something new. 

For anyone needing help in the future regarding this issue:

User Edg1 definitely provided the working fix for me however I'm worried the lengthy posts from me may hide or complicate matters. For anyone who is looking for the quick answer:

1. Edg1 recommend the ECB5240M MoCA Adapter. I bought this directly through Verizon for $60 (w/ shipping etc) and it arrived in 1-2 days. 

2. I completely removed the G1100 router from my setup and connected the ECB5240M adapter to a power source.

3. Run an ethernet cable from a LAN port in your own router to any of the four LAN ports on the ECB5240M adapter. 

4. Leave it for several minutes (I did five be to sure) and then connect the ONT Coax to the adapter. 

5. The STB may come online automatically but I recommend rebooting just to be safe. 

6. At this point, the STB should be successfully online and in working order. TV Guide fully functional and all internet coming to and from your router. 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Too long to quote.

go here http://www.dslreports.com

click on the Fios forum. Either post a short narrative of your issue or under the Fios FAQ’s there are set up instructions for what you want to do.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First thing is make sure you actually have internet coming out of G1100. Take a laptop and connect to it with an ethernet cord and turn off the wifi on you computer. You should be able to get out to the internet at this point. 

Next unplug the STB and router. Start the router up again and wait until it is fully back online. Then plug STB back in. It should pull an IP after everything is back up again. 

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll give this a try with the laptop, or will connect my desktop and see if I still get a connection. Got a lot of internet users in this house so I need to time my technical tests accordingly. 

When you say unplug the router, do you mean the G1100 or my Netgear router?

I'll update you but if anyone else has any other suggestions to also try in the meantime I would really appreciate it. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I understand lol. The G1100. 

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Before I do any changes I'd like to confirm some things. 

Another thread I looked at had a guy follow an identical or every similar setup to my own and had also lost the guide. 

Like him, I have or had released the DHCP but do I need to also disable it? I don't know if those are two different settings or if releasing the DHCP "technically" disables it. 

There was also a mention that he bridged the G1100 to his router. Will I need to do that too? The OP also said he connected the G1100 to his router by connecting the router's LAN port to the G1100 LAN port and NOT the WAN (which I'm currently doing). 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can try without disabling the dhcp first. As long as the G1100 IP address 192.168.1.1 is different the your router it shouldn’t matter. The STBs will be the only devices getting an IP from the G1100. Everything else will get IPs from your router. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The other way you are saying by turning dhcp is also ok. That is essentially changing the G1100 into a switch/moca bridge. That way the STBs will be getting IPs from your router instead of the G1100. 

Gaudfather1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would be curious to help how you make out because I have been trying same thing!

0 Likes
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm gonna mess around with it tonight. My first theory is that the G1100 simply isn't getting Internet, which is confusing since the router is working perfectly. 

Another person suggested removing the G1100 from my setup altogether and simply purchasing a MoCA bridge, is that a viable option? 

I'm not sure if anyone can recommend a good one (ideally black) because if that will work and remove a rental fee from my life then I'll definitely consider it. 

0 Likes