Re: I want to use own router and keep TV Guide and tried everything
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is is possible tbe G1100 is the same IP (192.168.1.1) as your router. That will cause the G1100 to not work. 

A moca bridge will also work in place of the G1100. Verizon has a FNA( FiOS network adapter) for $50 or you can get one online from actiontec just make sure it’s moca 2.0 if you have VMS STBs.

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I found this one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Dual-Band-Wireless-Extender-Ethernet/dp/B00FKTMWDE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_...)

There is also this one (https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-802-11ac-Wireless-Extender-WCB6200Q02/dp/B01BV1Y3W2)

I believe the first is Moca 1.1. however some reviews mention that they're using it with FiOs. So I assume I would plug the coax from the ONT directly into this, then ONT ethernet into my router. Then, would the MoCA adapter need ethernet from my router too? No problem if it does. 

After that, I guess it should work or do I need something else? 

0 Likes
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay so aside from the possibility of getting a different adapter, I did some investigating. 

Firstly, I connected my computer to the the G1100 and although it said I had an internet connection and I could access the G1100 settings page, I couldn't access any actual internet pages. 

I disabled the DHCP entirely and then following what I heard, connected my router's LAN port to the G1100 LAN port. I reset both the G1100 and STB by underplugging their power but again it made no progress. The G1100 did blink white for like a minute which made me think it had secured a connection via the LAN hookup but then it went red.

What could be the reason for this? This seemed to work for someone else. 

It may be possible that the G1100 has got the same default IP as my router but I'm not sure. Is there any way I can change that? 

I'd rather not go out and buy another adapter if I can get this to work. 

EDIT: Just checked the Netgear support site and it says I can access my router via "192.168.1.1" so I assume this is the problem? Can I change the G1100 IP from that to something else? Or, should I change the routers?

0 Likes
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay so update again:

I rebooted things and connected my PC to the G1100 again in LAN port 1 while my router was bringing internet to it via LAN port 4. This time my computer connected to the internet. I noticed I couldn't access the G1100 settings page but I could access my Netgear router page, I assume since that was what is receiving the internet. 

Suddenly, the STB started downloading data and the guide came back!

I have no connected my PC back to my Netgear router and although the G1100 globe is red, it seems to be providing internet. The only issue I've noticed is that my PC connection seems to be intermittent. What could be the reason for this? 

edit: was experiencing a weird problem. The STB was online and working however the internet seemed to be constantly disconnecting and reconnecting. It was like devices were literally switching from the Netgear router to the G1100, as if devices kept recognizing each one as the router and switching. At times I could only access the G1100 settings page and vice versa. I assume this is due to the IP's being the same?

I've reverted back and connected the G1100 via WAN and as I expected the STB is offline again. But I guess we are getting close lol I think I can change the IP of my router fairly easily so it I changed to something such as 192.168.2.1 and reconnected the G1100 via LAN, am I right to assume this may work?

EDIT 500: Okay...okay. So, I figured since it was 4:00am I would lose a bit more sleep and just...try something else! So, I reconnected the G1100 via LAN and didn't adjust anything else. So far, my PC hasn't disconnected at all or seemingly paused like I mentioned earlier. I saw the STB downloading/uploading data so I THINK it's working. The guide has 3 days of data stored apparently however under system info it says it's offline, despite there being data transfer visible on my router. I'm not sure if the STB stays online all the time or if it only turns on periodically. 

EDIT 501: STB says it is online now. I feel like I've just stacked an insane box of cards and I'm just waiting for someone to turn on a fan. But having said that, it seems I may have fixed it. All devices are online and connecting to the my router. STB is online and I have TV guide back. G1100 globe is red due to no WAN but it is receiving internet and working as a MoCA switch right now and I guess is just bridged. The G1100 is reportedly offline according to my router so I am assuming that was the issue earlier but a reboot and some time for things to config themselves and it's now not fighting for a connection.

There is still the issue of odd things disconnecting at times and I think this is due to the G1100 and my router having the same IP address. I am going to change my router's IP tomorrow and see if that resolves it entirely. However I know if I connect the G1100 via LAN then the STB does come online now.

If you made it this far, I hope this story like ramble was interesting lol I need some sleep. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok those adapters should work fine but the one Verizon offers FNA(ECB5240M) is bonded moca 2.0 and like $50. That would probably be the easiest route since no configuration is required. Connection would be in place of the G1100. So the coax that was going to your G1100 will connect to coax on the FNA and the lan port of your router will connect to the FNA ethernet port and then you reboot STB and you should be good. 

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

So with an adapter I would just plug it in and it's essentially good to go?

If I get the FNA you mentioned which I think is $55, would I need two or just the one?

Assuming just the one since I'm not converting internet over coax back to ethernet for a wifi extender or any devices. I would literally just be using this for the TV. 

Apparently I can get the FNA you suggested directly through Verizon so if you're certain it works I will invest in that. 

0 Likes
MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Someone said to me that the ECB5240M you linked extends a MoCA network but it doesn't create one. 

Not sure if this is correct or not. 

He recommended this (https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Bonded-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6200S02/dp/B013J7OBUU/ref=sr_1_3?tag=ds0...)

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the delay. Yes just one FNA needed. That's what I'm using now for my STB since my FNE got surged both will make your moca network but since your router is providing wifi you won't need an FNE. FNA is cheaper. 

Just take coax from your G1100 and connect to the FNA. And connect a lan port to your router to one of the ethernet ports on the FNA. There will be 4  any will be fine. From there reboot the STBs and it should be good when the come back up. 

MrAchilles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so just to double check. 

You're saying the ECB5240M MoCA Network Adapter you linked me WILL provide a MoCA network?

It's a lil cheaper and has 4 ethernet ports so I'm inclined to side with it since I could use it for future expansions. 

Sorry for the repeated questions, I'm just hearing different things. If you're certain the ECB520M will work and no require anything else then I'll go with that. The installation guide for it makes it look more like an extender rather than an adapter so it's a little confusing. It mentions that my router needs to have a coax outlet which mine doesn't.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Absolutely. I uploaded a picture of my setup. I have ONT to my Ubiquiti router via ethernet. Then from my router to a 16 port switch since all my ethernet runs are in my basement. Then an ethernet from my switch goes to my FNA(ECB5240M). You can go right from your lan port on your router. Then coax from my 8 port splitter goes to the FNA coax port.

In your setup you will be basically taking out the G1100 and putting in the FNA in it's place. If any other questions don't hesitate to ask. 

The picture might take a day to view. Has to get approval.