INSTALLATION PROBLEM - Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)
rjw57
Enthusiast - Level 2

In short, I cannot get the subject adapter to work even with multiple installation methods.  I have an HDTV & STB in an upstairs bedroom that I would like to provde video and programming info via COAX to the STB and ethernet to the HDTV for Smart TV functions using the subject device.  When the coax is directly connected to the STB, there is no problem with the STB obtaining an IP address and displaying the programming guide.  I installed a single subject adapter since it was my understanding that the G1100 router negated the need for a second Actiontec device in the signal stream.  WIth this installation, I get video (which I assume is via QAM) but I lose an IP address and have no programming guide, nor do I see ehternet on the HDTV.  The STB is a Motorola HD QIP 7100 1.  I tried a reboot after installation of both the router and the STB, but no change.

I then tried installing two of these adapters and removed the COAX connection to the G1100 (see picture above).  This was the new installation for the home closest to the ONT: ONT->POE Filter->4-way splitter->ECB6200 Coax In->ECB6200 Ehternet Out->G1100 LAN Port.  I left the adapter in the upstairs bedroom installed as per manufacturer instructions and nothing changed.  I am not really sure where to go from here.  I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue with the equipment I am using and the Actiontec device.  Looking for advice on where to go from here.

imageINITIAL COAX SETUP

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: INSTALLATION PROBLEM - Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m not too familiar with that adapter but I remember from a previous post that they said when using the “TV/STB Out” port their TV lost guide data. 

I would say for now try using just the one ECB6200 in the upstairs room in question. Take the coaxial feed from the 7100 and plug into the “Coax In” port of the ECB6200. Then plug in the ethernet and see if you can get out to the internet. If that works I would avoid the “TV/STB Out” port and use a 2 port splitter instead. One to the 7100 and the other to the ECB6200. 

View solution in original post

Re: INSTALLATION PROBLEM - Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02)
rjw57
Enthusiast - Level 2

Follow up to my initial post.  Still have MOCA adapter feeding the COAX network from LAN ethernet port to serve LAN addresses and provide STB data.

1) Swapped identical STB's between rooms - no change in lack of data connectivity.

2) Moved 2nd MOCA adpater that I was trying to use in bedroom to another room.  Again, no data connectivity.

3) Swapped MOCA adpters; that is, the adpater initially feeding the COAX network off the LAN ethernet port was swapeed for the adapter used in the bedroom.  COAX network worked fine and ALL STB's were provided a LAN address and had data connectivity (was able to see guide and STB operating information).

Obsrervation:  both adapters worked fine with a signal coming fron the router LAN port into the COAX network since all STB's were able to obtain LAN addresses and had STB data avaialable.  I only have problems when I am trying to take a signal from the COAX network and pass it thru the adapters internal splitter.  I have never gotten to the point where I could test for an ehternet connection when the adapter is used to feed an STB.

Again, I'm stumped and any ideas would be greatly apprecaited.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I’m not too familiar with that adapter but I remember from a previous post that they said when using the “TV/STB Out” port their TV lost guide data. 

I would say for now try using just the one ECB6200 in the upstairs room in question. Take the coaxial feed from the 7100 and plug into the “Coax In” port of the ECB6200. Then plug in the ethernet and see if you can get out to the internet. If that works I would avoid the “TV/STB Out” port and use a 2 port splitter instead. One to the 7100 and the other to the ECB6200. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I looked at other posts from the forums and they seem to say the the “STB/TV Out” port does not pass MoCA to the STB which is why you lose your guide data. 

Definitely get a 2 port splitter instead like I said in my previous post. Also that POE filter on the splitter can come off. That is a 6 db attenuator. It knocks down your RF signal by 6 db. The RF coming from the ONT early on was very high which is why that was placed. Verizon has since dropped RF levels oit of the ONT so you don’t need it anymore. 

rjw57
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the advice.  Not sure why they would build an adapter that cannot pass MoCA data to the STB, but sure looks that way.  I was moving in the direction of a splitter and have one coming from Amazon shortly.  I will try it and report back as soon as I am able.  Sorry also that I culdn't find your previous post discussing the problem.  I was doing quite a bit of searching today and missed that completely.  I will also remove the POE after I get past this problem.  Don't want to add another unknown variable during troubleshooting the current problem but if I can get a better signal, fantastic.  I do recall that when Fios was initially installed, the tech showed me the before values (large Verizon competitor in Philly area) and the after values of the signal strength and commented on having to attenuate.  Here's hoping!

0 Likes
rjw57
Enthusiast - Level 2

The splitter was the ticket.  All is well.  Now to try the POE filter and maybe see if I'm satisfied with the COAX LAN port speeds at MoCA 2.0 non-bonded.  At least I know that I can get things working with the current setup.  Thanks for your help!

MoonDragn1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know this is an old thread but some of us had the same problem. The reason the TV/STB output isn't passing the moca is because the bonded moca 2.0 signal is above the frequency of the filter on the TV/STB output.  

If you look on the ECB6200 user manual it says:

Coax In Frequency Range - Extended D-band: 1125MHz ~ 1675MHz;
Full Port Range: 5MHz ~ 2150MHz
TV/STB Out Frequency Range - 5MHz ~ 1002MHz

If you use the extended D-band, your MOCA is completely above the frequency of the TV/STB out. If you use the full port range, some of the higher range frequencies will still be filtered out.

I know the G1100  ouputs the MOCA WAN at 1000 mhz and the  LAN at at 1150 mhz  so connecting a G1100 to ECB6200 the TV/STB output would never get a MOCA signal.

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes