IP Address Assigned outside Network Range
mcharl02

Hello,

I apologize if this problem has been addressed elsewhere but I am finding it EXTREMELY difficult to use search functions on this forum or on google in this instance.

My problem: My Windows 7 computer is able to connect to the internet through an ethernet connection with my Router. However, it is UNABLE to view any other computers on the network (and vice versa).

I've had alot of difficulty trying to search forums/internet regarding this problem because all the search terms seem to correlate with a much more popular issue: connecting to the network but not the internet.

I think I've discovered why this is happening, but I have been unable to fix it.

The router (no matter how many times I reboot & reset ) continues to assign my PC the IP address of 192.168.15.3

All the other devices (other computers, my ipod touch, xbox, etc etc etc) get assigned IP addresses in 192.168.1.x range

I just bought this new computer a week ago and it constantly gets this address (its set to dynamic IP- I'm reasonably tech savvy so I don't think I made any obvious mistakes).

Even on the homepage for the router, this computer does not show up under networked devices (Yet it connects to the internet with no issue!)

Did this computer arrive at my house with some sort of weird configuration that is causing it to be assigned an IP address outside of my home network range?

(also, I tried to specify an IP address within the home network range and tie it to this new PC's MAC address, but that did not work either)

0 Likes
Re: IP Address Assigned outside Network Range
Hubrisnxs
Legend

do you connect wirless on this machine, because the router can't assign two ip ranges like that unless you have vlan's set up and those are very specialized set ups that less than 1% of VZ customers use through the actiontec router.

so I am pretty sure you would be wireless on this connection right?

maybe you're accidentally hooked up to your neighbors wireless instead of yours.   YOURS should have an ESSID that is labeled on the routers service tag.   so take a look at the router, make sure your ESSID matches up with what you are connected to on your pc  if they are different then that may be your issue.

0 Likes
mcharl02

No, this is a wired connection.

I've disabled the firewall on that computer as well.

I hope my opening post wasn't clear. I'll try to rephrase it.

My Verizon Router is assigning my computer the IP address: 192.168.15.3

This is WELL outside the DHCP range for "my home network" of 192.168.1.2 --> 192.168.1.255

Any other device that connects to my network (including the other 3 hardwired computers and any number of friends who come over with iphones and ipads and connect wirelessly) get an IP address within that range.

But this new computer keeps on getting assigned 192.168.15.3! It is able to connect to the internet, but isn't shown as a connected device on my router page and isn't show on my Windows home network.

Why?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
Can you double check that the pc is not configured with a hard coded IP address?
0 Likes
mcharl02
How do I check that?
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Open a command window and run the command:  ipconfig /all and post the results.  Let's take a look at what you have configured on the machine.

0 Likes
mcharl02

I feel a bit sheepish here. I've discovered the problem.

It wasn't a wireless signal ( I don't have a wireless card in the computer).

I'm doing this work for my Dad's business computers in his home office. What I didn't know until 5 minutes ago was that he is using a Vonage VOIP service for his FAX machine. I have no idea how this works, he had someone else install it. But it appears that an ethernet cord is connected between the router and the Vonage device (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.vonage.com/images/how_vonage_works_adapters/vportal_a...

And then the internet is also passed on to the PC. 

I have no idea if I will still be able to get my computer on the network. Sorry for all those who tried to help out here when I didn't provide the full story.

But if anyone is familiar with what this Vonage device is doing and can perhaps share some knowledge- I'd appreciate it.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah ... the Vonage ATA is a router (just like a Linksys or Belkin or any of a number of other consumer grade routers) with firmware for handling the VoIP traffic as well.   If you try to bring up a web page from the computer behind this device (probably http://192.168.15.1). you'll see it has a configuration page very similar to a regular router.   Is it perhaps a Motorola VT2142?

So, whatever computer is plugged into the LAN port on the Vonage adapter, you just need to instead plug into the Verizon router instead.   If you can desribe in a bit more detail where are the devices you need to communicate are plugged into, I'm sure someone can suggest a configuration which will work.

0 Likes
mcharl02

The Vonage device displays a model # VD21-VD.

This isn't an unsolvable scenario for me.

The Actiontec router allows for 4 hardwire connections. I currently have 4 PCs. 3 are hardwired, and the new one is hardwired THROUGH the Vonage device.

Of course I could always purchase a wireless card for one of my PC's and connect it over the wireless network.

However, if there is a way to have my PC able to communicate with the other devices on my network without purchasing and installing a wireless card, this would obviously be preferable.

All I'm looking to do is be able to do standard Windows 7 Homegroup operations- share files and printers.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The PC behind the Vonage adapter can easily talk to the PC's on the 192.168.1.1 ActionTec network, but the reserves is more problematic since you would need to do some port forwarding, etc.   I would advise if it's not a physical wiring issue to just go buy a small 5-port switch (not router) and connect it to the ActionTec which will give you the additional ports you need on the main network.   A small switch will run you less than $20 for any of a number of online e-tailers.

For example ...

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Ethernet-100Mbps-Auto-MDIX-TE100-S5/dp/B000M2TAN4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...

0 Likes