IP and subnet roulette
prisaz
Legend
Seems like at time Verizon trash their FIOS network for maintenance or something, and it becomes very slow. Yesterday without rebooting my router, I was issued an IP address in the 130.x.x.x range and speed went from 19.8mbps down to 9.2mbps and would not get better regardles of how many times I reboot my router and was issued a new IP. Today everything is great and back to 19.8mbps with an IP address in the 71.x.x.x network. Any ideas?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IP and subnet roulette
prisaz
Legend

@cjacobs001 wrote:

"I do not think you understand my point."

yes  ( no )  I did not understand.   So if you are using pppoe are you dial up ?    And, yes, a software VPN could do this to your IP address. 

I guess this is like beating a dead horse. No I am not on dial up, this is a FIOS forum. Yes PPPOE. What ever, end of thread!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
what router are you using that issues a 71.x.x.x address?   That is not the default for actiontec.  If you have created rules in your router configuration that issue an other-than-default addressing scheme, there is no telling what may be going on.  If you are using a router and the addressing scheme "changes" seemingly on its own, you may have a software VPN installed.
0 Likes
chartle
Enthusiast - Level 3

To the PP, the Actiontec isn't giving out a 71.x.x.x address, its getting a 71.x.x.x address from Verizon on the WAN side of the router.

To the OP it seems that maybe different sub nets are for different speeds and you got moved temporarily for some reason.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@cjacobs001 wrote:
what router are you using that issues a 71.x.x.x address?   That is not the default for actiontec.  If you have created rules in your router configuration that issue an other-than-default addressing scheme, there is no telling what may be going on.  If you are using a router and the addressing scheme "changes" seemingly on its own, you may have a software VPN installed.
I do not think you understand my point. That is a public I that PPPOE issues to my router. Not a private IP or IP I use on my network. A VPN has nothing to do with it. Have you ever logged into your router and looked at the address that is given to your router from the Verizon network on the WAN side?
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@chartle wrote:

To the PP, the Actiontec isn't giving out a 71.x.x.x address, its getting a 71.x.x.x address from Verizon on the WAN side of the router.

To the OP it seems that maybe different sub nets are for different speeds and you got moved temporarily for some reason.

Yea but quite frequently, and the throughput goes to ____, until I decide to reboot my router, and get a decent subnet.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

yes  ( no )  I did not understand.   So if you are using pppoe are you dial up ?    And, yes, a software VPN could do this to your IP address. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@cjacobs001 wrote:

I guess this is like beating a dead horse. No I am not on dial up, this is a FIOS forum. Yes PPPOE. What ever, end of thread!
0 Likes