stevenr4472b
Enthusiast - Level 1

With FIOS, this computer keeps timing out on an IPV6 test site.  I have the protocal installed.  when will Verizon FIOS be IPv6 ready?

Re: IPV6
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There hasn't been an official answer from Verizon as to when exactly they will be enabling IPv6 connectivity on FiOS, and for that matter DSL. You can get IPv6 connectivity with them if you're using their Enterprise services (the old MCI network) so they are "Ready" from the way I can see it. For now, you can use a 6to4 Tunnel Broker via Teredo to visit v6 addresses. There are also some websites that offer web-based IPv6 proxies running off of IPv6 connected servers that may be used in a limited manner. If you're willing to pay for a basic server and have knowledge on how to set up a server along with networking knowledge, you could also use a VPN connection to visit IPv6 connections in a "native" form.

mschauber
Enthusiast - Level 3

@smith6612

Regarding your suggestion to use a server and vpn connection (I assume you mean a 'static' vpn connection):

- What is the endpoint for the vpn?

I have been setting up dual stack tunnels on cisco core devices but the isp (like MCI, I still call it that and some clients still get bills that say MCI on them,) support ipv6.  With Google now offering free ipv6 dns, I'd like to start using it at home but I imagine VZN FiOS has a long way to go.  With the exception of the newest routers which are only being given to new customers or those that take the 150/35 package, I don't believe anu of their in home routers support ipv6, although I could have missed something.

Anyway, very interested in hearing the details of what you're suggesting.

Thank you,

Marc

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just use a router that has IPv6 support both hardware and software to run as your endpoint for the VPN. The other end doesn't need anything fancy. You can use another router or a server on the other end to establish a tunnel. From there, if you have a block of v6 addresses I suppose it's just up to you on how you want to get connected and configure your network.

The Verizon routers do support IPv6. They just don't have the support for it in the software yet (if it exists, not entirely yet). I run an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. D on my DSL line, however I installed DD-WRT to the router when I received it. DD-WRT has IPv6 support out of the box, though it just needs a bit of configuring via Radvd and it is not enabled by default. Router is very stable though, currently holding 111 days of uptime, no CPU load despite traffic on the network and 30% Free RAM. Have the OpenVPN module loaded which connects to my web server for v6 connectivity. Crude setup at the moment, but it does the job.