IPv6 for Residential Customers
Xianoth1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am inquiring to Verizon as to when IPv6 will be available for residential use.

Contrary to popular belief, there are people out here in residential land that use IPv6 on a daily basis. In my case, I have 3 Xbox One machines for a variety of games and opening ports and port forwarding is a nightmare with no guarentee of success,  UPNP works but is taxed.  My previous internet supplier, they who shall not be named, has IPv6 and once I applied that to my LAN, all problems disappeared and everything just worked.

I would like to know what can be done to enable IPv6 fully for my service. My router already supports is and I have enabled IPv6 to work.  Just waiting on FIOS. 

Please provide an ETA.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IPv6 for Residential Customers
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I do not have FIOS, I am happy to report that they are deploying it and this time for real.

As over heard/over read at https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32136440-Networking-IPv6-working

IPv6 Connection Type: DHCPv6-PD

🙂

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is something that us as consumers will still be left in the dark about. Verizon, for whatevever their reasoning, absolutely refuses to talk to its customers about any ETA for deployment of IPv6. 

There has been no word on any ETA any time soon. This has been discussed for years now, still with no official response from Verizon. 

Pretty sad when my neighbor's Comcrap connection even has v6, granted his service is only online 20% of the time Smiley Tongue

If your like me and don't want to wait for Verizon to play catchup, I'd strongly suggest setting up services with a tunnelbroker such as Hurricane Electric's https://tunnelbroker.net/ service. I use this with my pFsense router over my FiOS connection, and I'm quite happy with it (been using it for almost 2 years, no problem). Latency to Hurricane Electric's servers seems next to unnoticeable, and best of all, the addresses are static!! 

Depending on what router you choose to go with (your average off the shelf consumer router most likely cannot use the tunnel), do a quick google search and I'm sure you'll find many tutorials on setting up a tunnel to Hurricane Electric. 

Otherwise, we just have to wait in silence until Verizon gives an announcement. 

Smiley Sad

Xianoth
Enthusiast - Level 1

There is an actual choice??  Thank you VERY much! I will look into this and see what I can do.

pasques
Enthusiast - Level 2

"2 years, no problem" - then you've been very very lucky. There are several streaming services that will purposely block hurricane electric because HE can be used as a proxy and disguise your country of origin. That's actually one of the top reasons we need IPv6 for residential. I have HE set up and I have to turn off my IPv6 to watch Netflix. Either that or spend hours trying to configure my router to block netflix on IPv6.

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I actually never knew about Netflix blocking HE, thank you for that info! I don't use Netflix personally so I couldn't tell. Have you had isssues anywhere else with HE's tunnel? 

pchc_lx
Enthusiast - Level 2

+1 for this.  Would love to see IPv6 implemented, Verizon.

AllenEllis
Enthusiast - Level 1

+1, please Verizon, what are the plans for rollout? Why has this taken so long?

nacnud3

Holy crap.  I guess no one from Verizon FiOS is ever going to answer this??

Sure be nice to use IPv6 without Netflix blocking me...  Comcast has had Ipv6 for residential users for over 5 years.  What on earth are you waiting for?  IPv10???

BUMP....

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

This is a peer to peer support forum.

Verizon doesn't post responses.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

We all continue to wait, years after Verizon started to talk about it in their help pages.