Re: IPv6 for Residential Customers
jonjones1
Legend

@nacnud wrote:

Holy crap.  I guess no one from Verizon FiOS is ever going to answer this??

Sure be nice to use IPv6 without Netflix blocking me...  Comcast has had Ipv6 for residential users for over 5 years.  What on earth are you waiting for?  IPv10???

BUMP....

I know a few others have answered this but in relation to Netflix why would you be blocked? IPv4 works just as well in Netflix or if you are trying to for other reasons you will have to wait. The assignment of IPv6 is just the industry standard allocation of more addresses. So it’s not really a speed issue. 

Just like HTML5 was slated to replace Java etc. if memory serves me. The roll out is slow. Utilization is not fully embraced yet. Technology is a wonderful thing but as fast it is invented, the approval rate and rate of use is slow.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

At least in the case of HTML5, the standard has been slow to roll out due to the standard being more or less of set of guidelines, and the standard continues to be expanded upon today. Recently, a set of rules for using DRM Content (ugh!) within HTML5 was enacted, which I know much of the streaming and content provider industries were waiting for. Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight had DRM support built in whereas the only browser you could really get native support in was Chrome and Edge. Safari was rough, and Firefox had a DRM extension provided by Cisco but it certainly wasn't utilized. The other issue has been down to video codecs. Do we use Google's VP9 codec? Do we license H.264 from the MPEG LA? Do we use the free and open source WebM codec? How about hardware decoding and performance impact?

DRM is a waste of resources if you ask me. So let's not talk about that.

In the case of IPv6, it's a much older standard than HTML5 is. I can remember one of the first IPv6 stacks being available for use in NT4.0 and Windows 2000 (and naturally BSD), granted back then those stacks were as developed as HTML5 was a few years ago. IPv6 isn't exactly evolving in the way HTML5 is, rather the equipment capabilities have been evolving to support the standard. As to why providers don't support it is beyond me, as I've been operating networks with IPv6 running dual stack for several years now.

Now as for the performance difference, IPv6 does have a notable performance difference. My home ISP, Spectrum, receives better performance on IPv6 since there is no longer a need for NAT, which has a slight performance hit. The routing and connectivity is also more diverse, in the sense that an application can choose between both IPv6 and IPv4, and not to mention, the routing has been improving ever so slightly. Netflix and YouTube, for example, work significantly better with IPv6 access.

TasMot1

I would like to add a second on pfSense and Hurricane Electric. Since Verizon won't add IPV6 to residential server (despite already having it on mobile phones for years) and I needed IPV6, this is the way I had to go also. Very stable and only slightly slower than just fios.

0 Likes
AndrewH1

CRobGauth, what are you talking about?

CRobGauth wrote:

This is a peer to peer support forum.

Verizon doesn't post responses.

Checking URL, https://forums.verizon.com.  Why don't they?  This is their forum.  Is this just a pen where we, the customers, are free to squeal like the pigs they think we are?  Did they create this in the hope that we would scream, shout, and gnash our teeth in here rather than distract them from more important things than serving their customers?  (If so, it seems to be working.)

Fine, you want answers.  Here is the best answer we can come up with based on what Verizon is willing to share.  Just to be clear, they have shared nothing:

Verizon might as well have written:
We do not care.  People who want current Intenet Standards, or even standards from 1995, are not the kind of people we want as customers.  We want ignorant sods who barely know how to turn a computer on and will thank us for whataver slop we deign to feed them.  We also hold this truth close to our hearts: if we ignore the customers long enough, eventually they will go away! 

If you have any verifiable facts with which to refute the above theory, please share them.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

What are you writing about? CRobGauth gave you a correct answer. There is no other answer to give.

The forums are a conduit to get assistance from other customers. Verizon does not have all the answers that could possibly be posted here. Questions like how do I set up my printer, my personal router, my big screen tv, my cordless phone, or a myriad of other non provider questions.

However on occasion when someone comes here they are looking for Verizon assistance. So they are told 1-800-VERIZON to contact. Occasionally there is another website that can assist or twitter etc. that is all you can hope for.

no one has to verify anything to you. If you have a legitimate question that may be answered by other customers you will get an answer. Possibly more than one answer.

now this IPv6 issue has been brought up over and over. Google the question and get an answer. As far as I am personally aware it is not yet widespread on Fios. The last I read was it was being tested. Just the same way cable internet is only releasing it in certain markets.

That gentleman gave you a proper answer. “This is a peer to peer forum” if you want to speak to a real representative from Fios call them on the phone, or chat or on twitter.

that is the only real answer.

glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

JustinG - Thanks for reference to Hurricane Electric, but I think we need a "HE for Dummies". 

Questions - once I set up the tunnel and netsh stuff for HE:

A) am I OK to go to ANY IPv6 site on my Firefox browser, or only to a specified site for that tunnel only, and

B) will my normal surfing and emailing and other app-ing on IPv4 be affected in any way, and

C) can I just leave those netsh settings in or must I turn them off to get back to "normal"?  

This Q C) also seems to be relevant to the Netflix issue discussed here by pasques.

Hey, Xianoth, how has Hurricane Electric worked for you?

Thanks.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

Also - What would happen if I Enabled IPv6 in my FIOS Quantum G1100 router?  See screenshot below.  Would my internal LAN change?  How should I try this?

0 Likes
Re: Get IPv6 working on FIOS
jonjones1
Legend

@glnz2wrote:

Also - What would happen if I Enabled IPv6 in my FIOS Quantum G1100 router?  See screenshot below.  Would my internal LAN change?  How should I try this?

Probably nothing as per this discussion https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31896480-Networking-IPV6

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately the Hurricane Electric tunnel is a bit complicated, and does require some basic computer/networking knowledge to setup - but obviously you've come this far so I have no doubt you'll be able to figure it out, once you have the right equipment.

To your questions:

A) Yes, you can access anything on the IPv6 Internet. There would be no restrictions through the tunnel.

B) Normal surfing would be fine. What you would be setting up with the tunnel is something called a dual-stack network, meaning your computer has full IPv4 and IPv6 access. So if a service is accessable over IPv6, it will choose to go over the tunnel, and if a service is IPv4, it will simply go over your Verizon connection as usual. 

C) Not to sure what you mean by the netsh settings - but yes the netflix issue does still exist. Once you setup the IPv6 tunnel Netflix won't load unless your force its traffic over IPv4. 

If you don't mind me asking, are you enabling IPv6 just to test with it, or to access IPv6 only services? Depending on your situation it might be easier to run a tunneling program on your computer itself rather than swapping routers and such. Granted, you wouldn't have IPv6 access on all devices on your LAN if you did that, but it would be a quicker setup in the short run. 

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3
,,, are you enabling IPv6 just to test with it, or to access IPv6 only services? Depending on your situation it might be easier to run a tunneling program on your computer itself rather than swapping routers and such.

JustinG - My motives are (a) surprise that Verizon is not ready for IPv6 and (b) just to test and learn something.

Just got Vz 1Gbps FIOS at home  As far as I know we've never had a problem with an IPv6-only site, but I think that's coming.

So - I like your idea of trying it only on one or two computers before buying a new router.  Please point me to directions for tunneling on a PC and on a Mac.

EDIT - ADDING - D) when I use the route print command, I see Microsoft ISATAP Adapter but not Microsoft 6to4 Adapter.  Would Hurricane Electric (or anything else) still work?

Thanks.

0 Likes