Re: IPv6
tns
Master - Level 2

@domattps wrote:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/Questi...

Is a bad link.

I do remember seeing something to the effect that there would be a rollout of ipv6 in the 3rd quarter.

Nothing else. No info anywhere that I can find.

Just tried the link off of your post and mine.  It still works for me.

0 Likes
domattps
Enthusiast - Level 1

@tns wrote:
<snip>

Just tried the link off of your post and mine.  It still works for me.

Thanks. It works sometimes for me...

0 Likes
bainstorm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, here it is 4q 2012, and the announcement still says it should be rolling out during 3q 2012, and I have heard nothing, nor can I obtain in ipv6 address (unless I set up an overlay via he.net).

What's going on Verizon?  I wonder if they are trying to find some way to monetize this...

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a Rev I of the MI424WR, firmware version 40.19.36 is now available for download, if your router has not automatically updated to it yet. IPv6 support is added to the router with this version of the firmware. However, even with this update, my router is not receiving an IPv6 address from Verizon yet.

Users with Rev G of the router have also reported receiving firmware that is IPv6 enabled.

So it doesn't appear to be active on the network yet... But at least there's a little progress...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I hear that they need to make special arrangements for their set top boxes and it's firmware, so they have to deploy a dual stack?   i don't know, that was part of the conversation I had with a tech a few months back.  maybe they are having trouble with that?

0 Likes
awannabeee

negative link is good, must be your browser or maybe if you use windows you need a reboot

0 Likes
TechMike
Enthusiast - Level 3

As virgiliomi said, the newer ActionTec routers have IPv6 capability.  Problem now is that Verizon does not have active DHCP6 servers.  I notice on the main page that there is no IPv6 address assigned.  ipconfig shows the generic none routable addresses populated.  So we still await Verizon.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

I hear that they need to make special arrangements for their set top boxes and it's firmware, so they have to deploy a dual stack?   i don't know, that was part of the conversation I had with a tech a few months back.  maybe they are having trouble with that?

Verizon (as with other network providers deploying IPv6) has to run what's called a Dual Stack configuration. This means that they will be supporting both IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously over the network. This will allow older IPv4 only devices to continue to function and access the internet (at least until the services they connect to decide to become IPv6 only), as well as allowing devices capable of both versions (i.e. iOS 6, Android, Windows Vista and newer, and MacOS X) to access services and sites that have not yet implemented IPv6. 

Most providers implementing IPv6 now are expecting that they will have to run in a dual-stack configuration for at least the next 8-10 years as other service providers and networks get their IPv6 plans implemented. Because of this, I don't think that an STB firmware update would be holding up their IPv6 rollout. They have more than a few years to get IPv6 working on their STBs.

But I'm being patient... for now. 🙂 Verizon Wireless looks to have implemented IPv6 on the LTE network, so if I really NEED an IPv6 fix, I'll play around with it over there.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Although I could be wrong... as I'm sure those of you with FiOS DVRs know, a previous update caused slow channel changes (among other things), sometimes causing the DVR to hang for a minute when you go to change channels. Verizon is in the process of rolling out an update to the boxes (platform version 25.39) slowly through their various video hub offices (VHOs) across the country. I live in VHO4 (DC area) and got the update sometime in December, IIRC. VHO5 (based in Queens, NY) started receiving it earlier this week.

Anyway... looking through some of the diagnostic screens of the box (d07 in particular), I did notice that there is a screen that does appear to have a semi IPv6-looking address (i.e. 0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:192.168.1.100). So it's possible that in addition to fixing the channel change issue, this new update also includes some IPv6 support (though every other screen with any form of IP address has only an IPv4 format address), and they may be waiting for this rollout to be complete.

So I'll recant my previous statement and assume that the IPv6 rollout is somehow related to this STB firmware update at this point. 🙂

0 Likes
luckman212
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can anyone from VZ comment with an updated timetable of IPv6 rollout for FiOS customers? Time Warner, Comcast etc have all started their rollouts. FiOS customers tend to be some of the most "advanced" users -- it's a bummer that we can't make use of this new technology & be part of the testing. 

The original plan was for Q3 2012 and now the IPv6 info page says "Later in 2012" -- well here we are almost midway through 2013 and no update yet?