Re: IPv6
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your internet work?  Then why do you care? Its a residential internet service.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are reason to care including a very small number of ipv6 only Internet sites.  Mostly in other countries, where ipv4 addresses ran out many years ago. 

There are other advantages of IPv6 as well, such as performance, elimination of Nat Translation, multicasting improvements.

jonjones1
Legend

@tns2 wrote:

There are reason to care including a very small number of ipv6 only Internet sites.  Mostly in other countries, where ipv4 addresses ran out many years ago. 

There are other advantages of IPv6 as well, such as performance, elimination of Nat Translation, multicasting improvements.

But again it is not really a big deal. Most sites don’t use it.

and Fios sees no fundemential reason to use or implement it. With all the addresses they have available they have no reason to rush.

just because a site in China is IPv6 does not mean the whole world will switch to view it’s cornpone. 😀

0 Likes
emiliosic1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Much of the world already uses IPv6.

There are for example little web sites, not sure if you heard about them, google or Facebook that use IPv6.

I use IPv6 at home. iPhones and AppleTVs for example use IPv6 to connect to each other. This has been the case for years, but cannot access IPv6 content over the internet because Fios provides only the legacy protocol for Internet.

In other countries, I recall back in late 1990s, service providers were deploying IPv6.

I don't think Verizon has a real technical issue but it's a way to restrict what customers can do by not offering full connectivity.

Verizon Wireless has large IPv6 when accessing over LTE but no coverage with Fios. Why is that?

Comcast has IPv6 support

http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

rhcev6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lack  of Nat and Pat are why IPv6 failed (and very long he based addressing)

There are many who use and rely on Nat as a security tool

IPv5

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

That may be amusing that the little guys like Facebook & Google use IPv6 but if most of the internet community are not giving that access then you and I both know it’s a moot point at this time to question why Verizon Fios does not offer it or require it.

most residential consumers who try and reach such sites that offer IPv6 donot have the ability as of yet. Your saying Comcast has it may be only partially correct. Just like I was reading Charter was only partially rolling out.

the initial poster wanted why Verizon was not offering it. The simple answer to that was my response of “they don’t have to” still holds true. 

If a consumer must have IPv6 in order to enjoy his/her internet experience then Verizon Fios is not for them. And additionally the web sites “outside those little guys” is not that many.

0 Likes
rhcev6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forget not having to offer it.  They don't want to and there are 2 VERY big reasons why....

1. Money: IPv4 IPs cost $ to get and are worth money similar to real estate.

2. Security liability: The VAST majority of internet users actually believe for some reason unencrypted email is secure and you want them to not have the protection that NAT overload offers????   Verizon rightly does not want to take that on and I'm forced to AGREE.

What I suggest Verizon along with many others do is create an IPv5 standard that is 100% the same as IPv4 EXCEPT that there is a 5th leftmost octet.

That solves ALL issues.  That 5th octet defaults to 001 when not set by IPv4 clients and is added by a router just like a VLAN tag.

VERY easy to implement with little to no disruption at all.  Plus 250 times the current number of IPs is MORE than enough.  IPv6 simply is just excessive overkill with no benefit.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You realize how many years it would take to get a standard like this approved? And then implemented? I'm guessing a decade if they started today. Ipv6 is well on its way.

jonjones1
Legend

@CRobGauth wrote:

You realize how many years it would take to get a standard like this approved? And then implemented? I'm guessing a decade if they started today. Ipv6 is well on its way.

It’s been a decade. From the thinking point, testing and approval stage to now implementation stage. You see the ipv4 addresses are still available and Verizon holds plenty of them. No need at present to jump to IPv6.

why do something you don’t have to at present.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

IPv5 does exist. It however, never took off because it's use was specific, and something which was found to be unneccessary. IPv5 is known as the "Internet Stream Protocol."

WIth that said, part of the point of IPv6 is to solve the issue IPv4 has with guessability. IPv6 has security built into it through means of SLAAC Auto-Configuration + Privacy Extensions. Privacy Extensions in IPv6 allow a device to change it's IP address on a regular basis AND to not generate an IP Address based upon DUID + Subnet allocation + MAC Address. Effectively, for someone to discover a device (most devices, including Windows by default do not respond to ICMP) would have to port scan millions of IPs (any one of which could be a device) ... per subnet. With IPv4, it's already been seen that scanning through IPv4 subnets is fairly trivial due to the lack of address space, and punching through NAT is generally not difficult - especially with UPnP being enabled on so many consumer level routers, and just general insecurity.

Security through Obscurity is by no means something that should be touted, but there are a lot of benefits to having IPv6. The sooner Verizon implements a native IPv6 stack onto FiOS, the sooner transition technologies like Teredo, 6rd and so on can go away. Teredo being enabled on Windows has been known to cause numerous problems FWIW...

If you need to be discovered on the IPv6 Internet, use DNS. I myself, appreciate the lack of noise on IPv6 because of how vast the address space is.