Ichanging OE mail over to Windows Live Mail
fjacksonjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just started using W-7 on a new computer and need to change my OE mail to Windows Live Mail.  I tried to do this using what I thought was the right procedure  as Live explains it but it rejects my attempts to conect to the OE account.  Any suggestions to lead me in the right direction ??

0 Likes
Re: Ichanging OE mail over to Windows Live Mail
Justin46
Legend

Pretty hard to help with no more info than you provided.

I bought a new Windows 7 laptop back in Oct. to replace my HP one and defined my existing OE mail account just fine. The definitions in the two are almost identical. What error are you getting?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
fjacksonjr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi.  A bit more information since I first wrote.  I managed somehow to get my main OE account to be recognize although I haven't figured out yet how to get the other folders I had created to be loaded.  Now I have a second address in the outlook express  POP 3  account that is XXXXXXX.verizon.net ( of course the X's are not the actual address, but that comes up in the Outlook Express as another identity and I have to select that from my main account ( in OE). Anyway, when I put this information into the form from Windows  Live mail,it keeps rejecting it and I forget the exact wording at the moment ( but I will try again later and write down the message I get ) .  I am assuming this second identity is an actual account, at least I have been getting mail to it in Outlook express all along.  So   don't know if this helps you  at all or am I trying to do the impossible ?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

You most certainly are not trying to do the impossible. But I have to admit I don't understand what you are doing/what you have done.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to my former XP system so what I will put here is from memory and could very well be (hopefully only slightly???) wrong.

Assuming you want to set up Windows Live Mail basically like you had OE set up, and migrate everything you had in OE to Windows Live Mail, and you are using a different computer for Windows 7 than the one you had/have OE, there are three things you need to migrate: your account definitions, your old Address Book, and your old folders containing all of the emails you sent and received.

For some reason Windows Live Mail does not display the Menu Bar by default (the thingy that shows File, Edit, View, Tools, etc), so the first thing to do is make that visible - click on the Menus icon in the upper right of the Windows Live Mail window and click on "Show menu bar", Now you can see the File and Tools option which you will need.

1) Your Account Information: I don't know if it is possible to automate the migration of your account definition(s) or not, but what I did was go into Tools ==> Accounts and create an account. I viewed the info in OE and made basically the same settings in WLM that I had in OE. Once I did that I made sure I could connect to the Verizon email servers and could send and receive emails. (I don't understand your comments about a second account in WLM, but you only need one, defined the same as the old one in OE)

2) Your Address Book: On OE, export the Address Book as a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file. Put that file on a flash drive, and then use the Import function of WLM to get the address book info into WLM: Click on Contacts, then File ==> Import ==> Comma Separated Values (note that there are other options than CSV, I think I tried the Address Book option and it didn';t work very well, I saw someplace a recommendation to use CSV, I did and it worked well)

3) Your old folders from OE: You need to first find where the folders are stored by OE. You do this in OE by Tools ==> Options ==> Advanced ==> Message Store ==> shows you the locaton (here is where I get fuzzy, I think that is the total path to find the store but I am not sure). Anyway, once you find where the folders are stored, use Windows Explorer to copy all of the files in that folder (all of the.dbx files) to a flash drive, and then using WLM Imput those folders (File ==> Import ==> Messages ==> OE 6 ==> tell WLM where the .dbx folders are stored) . WLM will convert the .dbx files to its' own internal format. One thing you will find is that WLM puts all of the OE folders down under a Header of  Storage Folders, so you will need to get used to them being located there or you will need to move them up. (I did not like it at first but after 1 1/2 months I am used to it).

OK, that is what I remember of the migration process that I went through. There may be some errors or missing steps, sorry about that. But I hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Texwinger

We also move over to Win 7 and started using win live,, but it only worked about a week then stopped. Giving the errror of invalid password. The funny thing is all other emails work, hotmail, yahoo win live but not the verizon acct.

We can access it via verizon.net email. Even tried installing incredimail and got the same response that the password was invalid. Got any ideas on how we can fix Win Live to pass the correct password over to verizon.net???

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Texwinger wrote:

We also move over to Win 7 and started using win live,, but it only worked about a week then stopped. Giving the errror of invalid password. The funny thing is all other emails work, hotmail, yahoo win live but not the verizon acct.

We can access it via verizon.net email. Even tried installing incredimail and got the same response that the password was invalid. Got any ideas on how we can fix Win Live to pass the correct password over to verizon.net???

Well, I could be a smarta$$ and say "submit the correct password" but I would never do that..... Smiley Very Happy

I am convinced you have something defined wrong. It may not be the password, that may just be the way it shows up. There are 5 tabs in the Accounts/Properties area where you specify the account values. Here is a summary of what I have or think you should have:

General tab: Pretty much anything you want or need in the various fields. The only thing I know of that affects login/sending/receiving is the checkbox for "include this account..." and that needs to be checked if you want WLM to send/receive emails on that account without your specifically identifying that account.

Servers tab:

Incoming is POP3.

Incoming mail (POP3): incoming.verizon.net. (Note: if you are using the Yahoo or some other portal on Verizon this will be different.)

Outgoing Mail (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net. (Note: if you are using the Yahoo or some other portal on Verizon this will be different.)

Incoming Mail Server: the correct user name and password

Check in the box for "remember password"

Select "Log on using clear text authentication"

Outgoing Mail Server: Check in the box "my server requires authentication" + under Settings select "Use same settings...."

Connection tab: nothing specific (I have nothing specified)

Security tab: nothing specific (I didn't put anything here myself, whatever the default was)

Advanced tab:

Outgoing Mail (SMTP): 587 (note: default is 25, should be changed to 587)

Incoming mail (POP3): 110 (default)

Nothing else needs to be specified

I hope the above helps. If it doesn't, I am afraid you are going to need to tell us what you have so we can hopefully see what is wrong.

One other possible problem comes to mind; Verizon has multiple mail servers. Several years ago I started having problems with some people sending me emails would get them rejected, that my email address did not exist. They could resend, it might work, it might not. Eventually it turned out that my email account was set up properly on some servers, not on others, and it was pot luck which Verizon email server the email was going to. I am thinking that perhaps you worked for a while attached to one server, then the routing within Verizon got changed and now you are communicating with a different server that is not set up properly. A long shot, maybe not even reasonable or possible, but I thought I would mention it.

Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes