Ideal FIOS router placement if not using wireless
markleepgh

Hi, can anyone please please tell me what the ideal placement of the FIOS router is to optimize performance not only of Internet but also the TV services? The technician said ideally it would be next to the main cable box, but I am not sure why (something about all of the secondary cable boxes needing to talk to the main cable box via the router?) or if that is even correct.

I am NOT using the Wi-Fi functionality of the router so wireless signal strength is not a concern. (I can place the router in any room as I have Ethernet cabling running throughout my entire house and can add access points wherever I need to.)

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

0 Likes
Re: Ideal FIOS router placement if not using wireless
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't plan on using Wi-Fi, then that makes things alot easier.

Not too sure why exactly they would want your router near the main cable box. All the set top boxes talk over COAX to eachother, so distance shoulden't be much of a problem.

Most likely, for ease of the installer, you'll want the router near the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which is the box that will hook your house up to the telephone pole. Is that maybe what was meant by "main cable box"? I know that they will also most likely put the router near where your current cable comes in, since they need to use the existing cable in the walls of your house to hook the set top boxes up too.

Putting the router near this main box is best for simplicity, since then you can keep all the networking equiptment in one spot.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

My Router is in Office where I can keep an eye on it since its next to my Pc's.

My ONT is inside garage.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

To me, putting it closest to the first splitter makes sense.

That way you have the least amount of loss for STBs in getting their guide data and VOD.

But if you have high quality coax run throughout the house, it doesn't make a big difference.

0 Likes