Identifying Devices On Network
Chutsman
Enthusiast - Level 2

In looking at the devices connected to my network I can identify all except one.  This one lists the Connection as Ethernet, its Status is Online and the IP Address Source is Static.   This last one is different to all the other devices which have their IP Address Source as DHCP.    The set top boxes are also listed and are identified so is my wireless laptop.

Can anyone shed some light on this?    Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Identifying Devices On Network
Chutsman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you everyone ... it was a networked printer that we have hidden under a desk.  It is always on and is not used that much so I had completely forgotten about it.   And the fact that the Network Status had it listed as "computer" threw me for a loop.  LOL.

Thanks again for the replies.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

try going to each ethernet connection on the back of the router. Disconnect them one at a time and then refresh your network page. When that one goes from "online" to no status, then you know you have the right ethernet cable. Then follow it to what ever is connected. Its probably something like a blueray player or game console or something like that.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

To further comment to what spacedebris suggested, you can open a dos prompt on a PC and then ping the device and specify -t for continuous.  For example ping 192.168.1.1 -t would keep the ping going forever or until you close out the dos window.  Once you start the ping, disconnect each cable until the ping stops.  When the ping says request timed out you have identifed the device and trace the cable to see where its connected to.

What is the IP address of the device?  It is somwhere between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.99?

Jim

0 Likes
Chutsman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you everyone ... it was a networked printer that we have hidden under a desk.  It is always on and is not used that much so I had completely forgotten about it.   And the fact that the Network Status had it listed as "computer" threw me for a loop.  LOL.

Thanks again for the replies.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is great 🙂

Please do not forget to mark as solved.

0 Likes