If I disable SON will I have to reconnect all my devices?
Kyle_W

I have 5 Hunter Douglas PowerView Shades. The one in my bedroom does not show up on my network. There is a PowerView repeater 10' from the shade that is on the network. I suspect that having SON enabled is clouding things. I would love to turn it off. 

My question is, if I do disable SON will I need to reconnect all of my other devices to the network?

Thanks,

Kyle

PS I have FiOS Gigabyte internet

Make: ARCADYAN

Model : G3100

Device Name : Fios Router

5 GHZ Band: Channel 6

2.4 GHZ Band: Channel 11

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: If I disable SON will I have to reconnect all my devices?
jonjones1
Legend

I can not say for certain, but self organizing network just assigns the 2.4 & 5 Ghz bands to use the service more efficiently.

it may need to have you lock in the band just once or it may just need a device refresh.

0 Likes
Kyle_W

Thanks. I have lots of lights, fans and shades connected so I don’t want to risk disconnecting them by turning off SON.

Kyle

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they're connected now, they should remain connected once you disable SON. A key feature is it will separate out your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. Good chance that they already are using 2.4Ghz, and that won't change. You'll need to update any device which supports 5Ghz, to use 5Ghz though.

If you're having disconnect problems, you should consider leaving SON enabled but disabling auto channel selection on the router. That may provide desirable results as well.

Kyle_W

Hi - More Verizon username/password weirdness...

I’m the OP - Disabling auto channel select didn’t fix it. It seems my WiFi isn’t the issue, it’s the actual shade. The guy is coming back next week.

Thanks!

Kyle

0 Likes