If your thinking about getting FIOS ....
boom4u
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had many jobs in the computer / ISP industry over 20 years. I must tell you, if you are thinking about getting FIOS for either TV, or Internet, or even phone... FIOS has the BEST product available PERIOD. They tell the truth, they honestly have the best technology available, there commercials are absolutley true. For years people like myself have dreamed about having fiber optics in our homes, and finally its here. I do not work for verizon, and probably never will, unless they want to pay me for this post 🙂 - But I have all of their services, home phone, wireless, tv, internet 150/65 in the tampabay area, and I can get cable for free in my neighborhood, I choose to pay for FIOS because it is that good. Looking at these forum posts, I can tell you most of these people having issues in these forums are either user error or computer error, most of the time it has nothing to do with the ISP, once in a while it is, but most of the time it isnt. Take it from a industry professional, FIOS is the best way to go.

Re: If your thinking about getting FIOS ....
prisaz
Legend

It is nice to here a good post about a solid product. Sure there are glitches now and then, but you will have that anywhere. I can honestly say it has been the most reliable service I have seen. I believe you will find non better. You may find a few valid issues from time to time, but for me FiOS rules. I have had service since it was available at my location a year after launch. 2004 I believe it started in Keller, TX. Well I have been a faithful customer since 8/2005, and member here since the Community Started in 2008. Great place to hang out and get good information. In 2005 many did not know about FiOS and Fiber. They said, you have fiber optics to your house"? All I could do is just look at them with this big fat grin, and say yep!

Kudos to you for such a nice post. I don't work for Verizon either. Some times I wish I did. I heard a rumor they get a nice discount.

Best Regards

prisaz

0 Likes
DreadedCustomer
Contributor - Level 1

The BIG drawback for someone like myself who needs the reliability of a copper phone line is that Verizon, after the initial installation of FIOS 15/5 internet only, refuses to allow you to upgrade your speed unless you separate the copper line out of the bundle that they originally sold you and subscribe to Fios phone.

Otherwise, to keep the copper line, you have to pay significantly higher fees for the FIOS internet and be billed separately for the copper line at significantly higher costs. (YOU WILL GET RID OF THAT COPPER LINE, UNDERSTAND ??)

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have never had issues with my FiOS phone line. I had the Freedom Essentials for a few years over FiOS, and then Switched to Digital Voice. Still no issues. Now there are issues with the length of battery backup if that is a concern. Here is a good thread to read about how it all works.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone-Landline-or-Digital/Analog-vs-Digital-Phone-still-confused/m...

I have an alarm system that uses wireless GSM and also provides fire and medical alerts to my monitoring station should I need them. It is not on copper or FiOS, but provides services also on a 24hr backup battery. FiOS is 8hrs.

I guess it all depends on your needs.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3AHo...

Look at keeping your copper and switching to FiOS business internet. I know when I bundled my phone with my internet the cost in 2005 dropped considerably, and I was on copper with 1.5Mbps/765Mbps DSL. You can drop your residential FiOS service at the end of your agreement and perhaps call the small business people for FiOS. But anyway you look at it it will probably cost more if you want faster speeds with copper and fiber. I don't think you can have it both ways. It would be just as you say splitting the services. After all they are providing two lines at that point. Just as if you were to have copper phone and cable internet. Or Verizon copper and Directv. Just some examples. Believe me I have looked at all the options.

I am not the Verizon fan man, but I hope you find satisfaction in regards to what ever services you have.

Best Regards to you

prisaz

0 Likes
Agreed, FIOS is great technology, but...
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

It is really expensive.  I guess that means each person has to decide if the quality of the service is worth the price.  I've been a FIOS subscriber since it became available in my area (about 3 years ago; prior to that I was a Cox cable subscriber and there is no question that FIOS is far better.  I also switched my cell phone service to Verizon and have all 4 services (TV, Internet, Digital Voice, Cell) bundled in a single bill.  Because of the dreaded Early Termination  Fee I will almost certainly stay with all 4 services until my contract expires in 2014.

But then I will have some decisions to make.  There is already much less expensive cell & phone service available from 3rd parties (for example, TMobile & VOIPO.)  My research to date suggests these outfits provide a comparable quality fo service at a much lower price.  So I am thinking that at contract expiration I'll swith those 2 services to 3rd parties.

Most likely I'll stick with FIOS Internet and TV forever, but I'm beginning to wonder about the TV service.  I've been reading that the "cable" suppliers (Verizon, ATT, ComCast, TimeWarner) will be raising their overall TV pricing to pay for the (in my opinion) ludicrously inflated costs of the professional sports channels (which I do not watch.)  This is a disturbing fact if true.  I understand why the cable suppliers don't want to offer "menu pricing" where people can pick the channels they want, but I do resent the idea of me paying for zillion dollar salaries for some quarterback I never see.  

I completely understand that many people love to watchprofessional sports, but I am not one of them and it only seems fair that they shoudl pay for their content, and let me pay for mine.

Re: Agreed, FIOS is great technology, but...
prisaz
Legend

I wish they would put sports where it belongs. In a different bundle or by itself. So we all don't have to pay mega bucks. Perhaps getting out of my contract today was not the best idea. But at this point I know what I will pay and what I will not pay if I drop TV, now that I have TV and IP only.

0 Likes